Shipping time in sales orders

mvdvalkmvdvalk Member Posts: 9
Hi,

has any of you encounterd the problem that the shipping time, coming from the shipping agent service (f.i. 35D) does not get updated in the sales order lines when the field "Purchasing code" is filled in (Nav. 5.01)?

We are working with drop shipments. When not filling in the Purchasing code, and marking the Drop Shipment field to Yes, then the shipping time field does get updated.

When testing in version 3.70 it works ok, so I am puzzled. Is this a new "feature" or a bug?
Marion van der Valk

Comments

• IngEolRuinIngEolRuin Member Posts: 23
    Guess bug :whistle:
    =(there is no question that cannot be used if we use our brain)=
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    My guess to logic is that you cannot predict when the vendor will ship the product so you have to update the dates manually after you get confirmation from the vendor.
  • IngEolRuinIngEolRuin Member Posts: 23
    Well, on second thought:

You have a "Delivery Expectation" on the Vendor. Example "3 Days".
    So if you order from the Vendor you expect to get the goods in 3 days on average.
    Usually this would be delivering goods from vendor location to "your" store.

If you have now a "Drop Shipment" e.g. direct delivery to the customer it would make no sense because the customer might be way on the other side of the country.

So I change my vote to: FEATURE 8)
    =(there is no question that cannot be used if we use our brain)=
  • mvdvalkmvdvalk Member Posts: 9
    Well, thanks for the replies, but it still does not make sense to me.
    This is what happens:

1. We receive a purchase order with a requested receipt date
    2. We fill in this requested receipt date as requested delivery date in the sales order (drop shipment)
    3. We fill in the Shipping agent
    4. We fill in the shipping time (or it could come from the shipping agent's service)
    5. The shipment date is calculated based on the requested delivery date - shipping time
    6. The shipment date is transfered to the expected receipt date of the purchase order that is linked to the sales order

This is how it should work, and it does as long as I don't fill in a purchasing code in the sales order.
    When I do that, the shipping time is set to 0D.
    When I don't fill in the purchasing code (but leave "Drop Shipment" marked), everything works fine for us.

As I said, in 3.70 it works fine.
    Can anyone tell if there is something altered in the code?

Thanks
    Marion van der Valk
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    This has probably been changed for the reason I stated above in the later version. The way standard NAV works now makes more logical sense since you cannot predict when the vendor's shipment will arrive at the client site.

You can modify the process so it functions like 3.7.