Replacement for SQLDMO

FommoFommo Member Posts: 138
Hi

I'm using SQLDMO in a lot of customer integration between NAV database and other SQL databases. Now I read that it is deprecated in SQL 2005. What is the recommended way to go instead? I still need to push base data out from NAV and fetch other data back into NAV using some kind of database integration. I've tried ADO, but I never got it to work, I got some failure telling that ResultSet could not be initialized. I tried using variables with datatype ResultSet as well as _ResultSet. I guess that the latter one is internal though and shouldn't be used like that.
So what is the recommendation? Should I continue trying with ADO and find out what I did wrong or is there some other replacement for SQLDMO? :-k

Best Regards
/Simon

Comments

• jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    Have you considered building a view?

When you're trying to integrate a Navision database with other SQL based databases or systems a view from/to Navision tables can be a simple way of allowing you to see data in Navision without having to worry about the SQL plubming behind the scenes (at least from within Navision).

This is quite easy to do and uses the LinkedObject property of a table.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • FommoFommo Member Posts: 138
    jlandeen wrote:

When you're trying to integrate a Navision database with other SQL based databases or systems a view from/to Navision tables can be a simple way of allowing you to see data in Navision without having to worry about the SQL plubming behind the scenes (at least from within Navision).

This is quite easy to do and uses the LinkedObject property of a table.

Well, I have considered that, and I can use it when reading from other database since it only involves two tables and wont cost so much in amount of objects. When pushing out base data though, I have to populate up to 10 tables and it can be unnecessary expensive for the customer to buy that amount of table objects. That's why I need a stable solution for pushing out data via some kind of communication component. SQLDMO works great and gives quite clean and "easy to read"-code, but if it gets deprecated I guess I have to find a new way.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Fommo wrote:
    jlandeen wrote:

...I have to populate up to 10 tables and it can be unnecessary expensive for the customer to buy that amount of table objects...

I'm not sure how different NAV object pricing is in your location, but here in the U.S. a pack of 10 tables equates to about 4 hours of development time. If I had a customer balking at that very minor expense (and yes I'm sure we've all had them) I would be questioning the level of effort I should be investing.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.