Ports to open

FommoFommo Member Posts: 138
Hi there

This may be more of a SQL question than NAV, but I try it here anyway.
I have a customer with separate domains. The SQL Server for the third party database I need to integrate with is residing within one domain and the NAV database is residing in another. Between then are a lot of firewalls and stuff. Now I got the question from their IT department which ports that should be opened between NAV and the other SQL Server.
I'm using SQLDMO to do the talking (both reading and writing). I've read about some ports 1433 and 1434 to be opened for UDP/TCP. Is that correct at all or is there some other ports to open to communicate between NAV and other SQL Server? Should both ports be bidirectional? Both UDP/TCP? :-k

Best Regards
/Simon

Comments

• Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Hi,

Port 1434/TCP is correct but only for the default instance of SQL database server. All others instances and other services use dynamic ports - SQL Browser is the central service which manages ports using by services

Basically the ports are open in sequence - depends on order of service startup.

As for opening incoming/outgoing - depends from which side you're looking :)

From SQL Server side you need to open 1434/TCP incoming from any IP (or desired subnet) to allow connecting to SQL service. SQL itself don't make any connections (unless instructed :) ) so 1434/TCP/in is a minimum.

From workstation/external network point of view you need to open 1434/TCP outgoing from the subnet or workstation IP to the SQL Server's IP.

Term 'inbound' or 'outbound' relates to the initial connection direction (where is the source and where destination), so you don't need to open anything bidirectionally as under normal circumstances communication goes one way (don't mess with TCP/IP packets flying both ways). Returning response packets in the scope of connection are permitted by firewall as far as I know.

Regards,
    Slawek.
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03