Maximized form asks to Rename record on exit

jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
Good day all,

I have an odd issue to resolve in my 3.7 (5.0 executable) environment. Hopefully someone here can help. I tried searching the forums but could not find anything directly related to this.

Issue:
From a maximized customer card, if you search the database for another customer record, you may get a series of pop-up forms that contain account notes from a custom table called customer notes. Since the customer card is maximized, the pop up form is as well. When you close the first pop-up form, you get the familiar "do you want to rename the record" dialog. Clicking no aborts the find so that you are not taken to the customer record. Interestingly, this does not occur when you are working with non-maximized forms.

i have tried altering the properties of the form, and setting Maximizable = false worked but is not acceptable to the users. When i am sitting on a maximized customer card and go searching, all forms go to non-maximized as soon as the pop-up opens. for our users with small PC displays, this is not ok.

to further complicate the issue, the pop-up form may appear several times - each time it opens, it displays a different "type" of customer note. There may be a pop-up window for general notes and a pop-up note for shipping instructions. This only occurs on the first pop-up, but not on any subsequent pop-ups (maximized state). also, i can scroll through customer records and this does not occur - only when i attempt CTRL+F or use the Search toolbar (looking glass icon).

any idea what might be happening? The rename is directed toward the customer record, not the customer notes.

EDIT : i watched through debugger and saw nothing. there is a FORM.RUNMODAL(formID,Rec) call, which pops the form. as soon as i close the form, i get the rename (without any activity in debugger).
kind of fell into this...

Comments

• FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    I have a smimilar issue at a customer after posting sales documents. After posting the Doc (and if the form is maximised) NAV aks whether you want to rename the sales header NAV had just posted (and which no longer exists). Yes obviously brings up an error, no closes the form with the error that document no. "empty" does not exist.

Running Client Monitor shows that Fu80 has finished (and if you used post&print then the print has finished also) and the form has received the control back and is updating itself. Then the question pops up. We think it is related to a currform.update either in the header but probably in the lines. We have not yet found it. Maybe this is a starting point for you.

We have involved MS into this. They do know the effect but they don't know exactly what it causes either :(

I someone has a solution for this I would know one happy customer.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I have seen this issue a number of times, and in every case it was due to badly designed processes. There was never a simple fix, it always involved rethinking the incorrect design, and doing it properly.

There are a lot of things you need to look for, but the first is multiple instances of the same record, and the sequence that they are modified. Often a Rec.GET can fix the issue, but not always.
    David Singleton
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Sounds like bad design to me too...BTW why do you have a custom customer notes table..it's standard.
    to further complicate the issue, the pop-up form may appear several times - each time it opens, it displays a different "type" of customer note. There may be a pop-up window for general notes and a pop-up note for shipping instructions. This only occurs on the first pop-up, but not on any subsequent pop-ups (maximized state). also, i can scroll through customer records and this does not occur - only when i attempt CTRL+F or use the Search toolbar (looking glass icon).

Has bad desgn written all over this. pop-up here & pop-ups there. Perhaps you should take a second look at these mods and the code it's using.
  • jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
    i started with this company back in august of this year and this Mod was in place long before then. i am not sure why they decided to create a new table for customer notes, or why they ever thought pop-up forms were good ideas, but they did and now i have to deal with them. :D

interestingly, they create the customer notes through the same interface as they would comment line - the pencil icon on the customer card points to the customer notes table here.

Thanks for the tips. maybe i can get approval to shut off the pop-ups entirely, that would "fix" it!
    kind of fell into this...
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I would look at what triggers these pop-ups and forms that pop-up
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Savatage wrote:
    pop-up here & pop-ups there
    Here a pop-up, there a pop-up, everywhere a pop-up pop-up ee-i-ee-i-o :mrgreen: