NAS .config file

KtbKtb Member Posts: 11
Hi,

We're testing an upgrade from NAV4.03 to 5.01, and we're having some trouble upgrading our NAS.

We use the nassql.exe.config file to tell two NAS to listen at different ports. This worked fine previously, but the version 5.03 NAS clients don't appear to be using the config file at all (we know we can use the startup paramter to specify port, but there's other settings as well...)

I was just wondering if anyone had any previous errors like this and how they were resolved if so? I couldn't find an answer through the search function.

Answers

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    NAS? Listen?

NAS is a client-side process. It doesn't listen for anything. Maybe I'm not understanding your question.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • KtbKtb Member Posts: 11
    No, I just phrased it badly :)

There is a setting in the config file called "ListeningPort", but you are correct that it is not the NAS itself that is listening for anything.

However, it's not the specific settings that are the problem, it's that the config file isn't being used at all when the service is started.

Except... we have tried it on two servers, with the same problem. Then we tried running the NAS from two of our work pc's, and it worked fine. so for some reason the config file is being ignored, but only when we run the NAS on a server. :-k
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Does the NAS service have the user rights to use that file? Some messages in the eventlog?
    Thomas
    ta5 wrote:
    Does the NAS service have the user rights to use that file? Some messages in the eventlog?
    Thomas

Yes, it does. And the Event Log is successfuly informing us that we've failed to fix the problem.

Actually, we now know that the file IS being used, and at least the Listeningport part just being ignored when we start the NAS on a server.

It's just wierd. :?
    Do you use a 64bit OS on the server?
    Thomas
    Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition on one of the servers at least. Can't check the other right now.
    The listener does maybe not work in a 64bit environment. What type of listener do you use?
    Thomas
    Ok, very interesting!

So, having found some interesting threads on non-NAV forums, we renamed our nassql.exe.config file to nassql.config... and it worked.

We're scratching our heads a bit, but some random googling shows that although we have no references to other NAS users encountering this, we're certainly not the first ones to have to rename our config files this way.

Thanks for the help ta5, it was your mentioning of 64bit OS that led me to enter the magic google search string :P It seems that people using x64 Vista have run in to this quite a bit.

So, a bit of confusion still at the end, but at least it works...
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    One button too far, never mind...
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03