import data

hansikahansika Member Posts: 373
Hi,
Could any body throw some help on how to import the data in to Tables .

Like we need to import purchase orders, sales orders, transfer orders,…

If it is a single table , then we can import I know very well.

But what about when we have two tables .

Kindly help me.
hansika

Comments

• BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    you are importing from where?txt, xls,...
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    Is this a one-time task or are you talking about a periodic activity? If it'll happen once, you could import each table separately, if that is possible (meaning knowing the Document No., etc).
    What I usually do is include all information on on line and use something like a dataport in which by code I fill all the related tables (i.e. a text file who's lines contain info about Purchase Header AND Purchase Line)
  • hansikahansika Member Posts: 373
    Experts throw some more help on this....................
    hansika
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    hansika wrote:
    Experts throw some more help on this....................
    i think no one can help you unless you answer at least our questions... :shock:
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • hansikahansika Member Posts: 373
    I have to import from Excel.

let me kno w the format to the data and the process for Purchase order s............
    hansika
  • vicbillvicbill Member Posts: 12
    I don't know about anyone else, but I have given up on trying to import Excel data into Nav using a dataport. It seems like an efficient and effective idea, but every time it is shot down by the hard and cruel realities of life.

The reason is that excel dada is extremely unformated data that frequently doesn't fit into highly structured Nav. field controls well. I always end up spending a lot of time fixing descriptions that are too long, codes that don't exist in the subsidiary table, duplicate data, etc.

If this is a go-live one time only event, I always tell the client to have their employees come in on Saturday and do a marathon pizza and pop data entry event. In the end, this is always faster and, even with overtime, cheaper than a dataport, forces hands-on training for the employees on a day when the phone is not ringing, and get's the issue resolved.

If this is an on-going issue, I would suggest going back to the system that is generating the data and try to get the info in text (I prefer .csv) format and plan for a long and headache creating integration project.

Just my thoughts.....
    Victor
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Also if you search the forum for "Dataport" & "Import" you will find many many posts.

here's 1
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21899