Schedule Hotcopy on Windows Server 2008

lzrlzr Member Posts: 264
I have a problem when trying to schedule my hotcopy script using Windows Server 2008.

Setup:
Windows Server 2008
NAV 4.0 SP3
60 GB Native database

Hotcopy:
Installed on the native database server
Invoked using a .bat file called "hotcopy script.bat" (this file only contains one line: "hotcopy source=backup.txt")
The .bat file is scheduled to run once a day
backup.txt is the configuration file which contains all info about the backup

When I run the bat file manually the backup starts and runs ok. If I start it manually from the task scheduler it does not do anything and still say it's successful. No backup is created.

Anyone have any suggestions about what might be wrong?
Navision developer

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    is nav 4 fully supported by win 2008??
  • lzrlzr Member Posts: 264
    Yes, Microsoft finally said that tests with Windows Server 2008 and 4.0 SP3 were successful.
    Navision developer
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    lzr wrote:
    Yes, Microsoft finally said that tests with Windows Server 2008 and 4.0 SP3 were successful.

Isn't there a Hot fix you need to apply?
    David Singleton
    https://mbs.microsoft.com/Cms/Templates/document/General.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={C02F6520-154E-4504-8A94-F696811190B4}&NRORIGINALURL=/partnersource/products/navision/newsevents/news/NAVcompatibility_SQLServer2008_WindowsServer2008.htm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest&wa=wsignin1.0

Only if they use business notification or commerce gateway from what I can read. If you have any other experience let me know.

Anyway at the moment we have two problems.

1. The problem that the task scheduler refuse to run the .bat file.
    2. NAS seems to increase the database size if not restarted, never ever seen this behavior before. If I don't restart the NAS it has consumed 10 G of database space within 3 days. Immediately after I stop NAS the database size drops 10 G.
    Navision developer
    Problem solved. Thanks for your help!

I had to put the whole path to the backup.txt file in the .cmd file, after that it worked :)

hotcopy source=c:\scripts\backup.txt
    Navision developer
    Ok, the scheduler works. However I get some kind of error 0x41301 in the scheduler. I can not find info about this error anywhere and event viewer gives me nothing.
    The file created is named nav_prod.fdb.SAV.

Is there something wrong with my backup.txt file? Perhaps it is better to schedule the hotcopy.exe and set parameters instead of invoking a cmd file? Will this give me some more info?

[Backup Files]
    d:\nav_prod.fdb=\\w2\Navision

[Options]
    ;This is the description of the auto backup
    description=This is the auto backup
    dbtest=min
    cc=yes
    nettype=tcp
    servername=localhost
    user=XX
    password=XX
    Navision developer
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    BlackTiger wrote:
    There was a problem with network shares.
    Try to backup locally.
    We normally do the hotcopy locally as BlackTiger suggests. As far as I understand this makes the hotcopy much faster. After the hotcopy the files are copied to a network share (and from there saved to tape).
    Ok, I see. I will do that, thanks guys. I tried before and it worked when I the backup was made locally.
    Navision developer