Item valuation in Differnt UOM

lallylally Member Posts: 323
Hi,

What is the report available in navision to know the Inventory Value in different unit of measures ?

Inventory qty in Different unit of measures ?

Not based on the Base unit of meanusre .

For eample My item Base unit of measure = Ml, in Item card.
I can purchase this Item in Litre.

So finally I want to know what is qty in ML and what is the quanity in Litres.

Whgat is the value in Ml and what is Inventory value if I consider based on KGs ?

Navision is showing is only based on the BASE UNIT OF MEASURE in Item card .

Pleas help me
lally

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    lally wrote:
    What is the report available in navision to know the Inventory Value in different unit of measures ?

Trick question?

2000 - 1 lb bricks is equal to 1 - ton of bricks - so it shouldn't matter the UOM.

the value of my inventory is what it is regardless of if count it in boxes or pieces.

now if you want to find out how many in a report.
    just divide the QOH by the Qty per unit of measure found on the Item Units of Measure table.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    When you buy 5 bottles of 200ML, you can't say you have 2 bottles of 500ML, just because they both add up to 1 liter, it just doesn't work that way. Just like you can't say that 100 strawberries is the same as 5 apples, just because they add up to one pound of fruit.

Each one of those bottles should be their own Item, and they should have a base unit of EACH. If you want to keep track of different sizes of bottles, you could do this by Dimensions, or by Product Group, or even add your own logic. The fact remains, that various bottle sizes are different entities altogether, you can't compare them.
  • lallylally Member Posts: 323
    Thanks experts,

what my actual qyuery is

My customer Placed an sales order for anItem OIL.

Uom = 2.5 Ltrs , qty = 2

But vendor sends 5 Ltr tin 1.

So how to enter this.

My customer is maintaing onlyone item .

same as customer placed and order for 1 Ltr bottle.
    But vendor sends 500 ML Bottles , qty = 2.

so how to enter this ?

Customer Placed anorder for 500 ML Bottle , qty = 1,
    Butvendor sends 200 ML bottles qty = 2 and 1 00 Ml bottle , qty = 1.
    Howw to enter this in Navision ?

My customer will check the Inventory according to LTR wise.

So what is the best option to define Base UOM innItem card ?

If i define the UOM is LTR then even i purchase in ML system is showing in Liters.

Customer wants to know what is the quantity in
    LTR, and Milli Ltere..
    lally
    lally wrote:
    My customer Placed an sales order for an Item OIL.

Uom = 2.5 Ltrs , qty = 2

But vendor sends 5 Ltr tin 1.

So how to enter this.
    Then their Vendor sent them the wrong thing. What you do in this case is go into the purchase order, BEFORE POSTING THE RECEIPT, and you change the Item to the one that comes in 5 liter bottles, and you change the quantity to the right quantity. Now that the order shows the actual things, you can post it and the system is correct.

lally wrote:
    My customer is maintaing onlyone item
    There's your problem. Your customer should have a separate Item for each size, and keep them with Base Unit of measure EACH. You as a consultant should explain to them why they should do this. If you do a good job, they will accept the story and change the data in the system.

lally wrote:
    same as customer placed and order for 1 Ltr bottle.
    But vendor sends 500 ML Bottles , qty = 2.

so how to enter this ?
    Again the vendor did not send the item that was ordered. Same thing though, BEFORE POSTING THE RECEIPT, you change the Item to the one with the 500ML bottles, you change the quantity, so that the order in the system reflects the actual items that are received. Now you can post it and the inventory will be correct.

lally wrote:
    My customer will check the Inventory according to LTR wise.

So what is the best option to define Base UOM innItem card ?

If i define the UOM is LTR then even i purchase in ML system is showing in Liters.
    In my opinion, this is the wrong way to go about it. Each size bottle should be its own Item, with a base unit of EACH. This way you can tell exactly how many of each item you have. The number of liters is absolutely meaningless. You could enter an Item Unit of Measure for each Item that reflects the item in liters and do it that way, but for regular transactions you have to keep the items in EACH, with a separate Item for each bottle size.

I see two problems. The first is that they do not have their Items set up corrcetly. This can be set right though and should not cause too many problems. The second problem seems to be that vendors are not sending over what was ordered in the first place. Now I don't know if it is an acceptable practice to do this. If it is, then the business process should always be to review what is received against the order in the system before posting it, so that proper corrections can be made, and transactions in the system reflect reality.
  • sajidhanifkhansajidhanifkhan Member Posts: 182
    If you are using Navision 5.0 You can easily solve this problem by defining different purchase unit of measure. you can keep one item unit of measure for sales but for purchase its not a problem only thing you need to define unit of measure for purchase.

For example in your case your customer is using item selling in UOM =2.5L so for the same item you can define UOM 5L and qty per unit of measure define as 2. And when you make a PO you make UOM 5L qty 1 which will be equal to your selling UOM qty 2.

An other example if you are selling one wrist watch as each UOM but your are buying from vendor as a carton which have 50 watches inside. So you can define Purchase UOM 1 carton and in that UOM define the qty of selling UOM.

You can define qty in form 5404.

Hope this will solve your problem.

regards
    Sajid
    For example in your case your customer is using item selling in UOM =2.5L so for the same item you can define UOM 5L and qty per unit of measure define as 2. And when you make a PO you make UOM 5L qty 1 which will be equal to your selling UOM qty 2.
    No that is such bad advice it's not even funny.

You are not getting my point. If there was a huge pool in the building, and people would come and purchase 2.5 liters or 5 liters, then yes you could do it that way. BUT, it was clearly stated that they order a number of 2.5 Liter bottles, but get 500 ML bottles instead. Just to show you the difference:
    2.5 L bottle: premiercooler$816124550.jpg
    500ML bottle:belu_biobottle_500ml_small.jpg
    2 2.5 liter bottles IS NOT THE SAME as 10 500ML bottles.

If you have a pallet of 5 2.5 liter bottles, you still have 5 2.5 liter bottles, but YOU CANNOT SAY that you have 25 500ML bottles. It just does not work that way.

A 500ML bottle is one Item, and it should be stored in EACH. A 2.5L bottle is a different Item and it should also be stored in EACH. Then by using the Item Unit of Measure you can then also store a BOX of 20 bottles, or a PALLET of 5 18L Bottles.

YOU CANNOT EXPRESS 2.5 LITER BOTTLES AS A NUMBER OF 500 MILILITER BOTTLES, THEY ARE DIFFERENT ITEMS!!!!

This is the last time I am going to say the same thing. ](*,)
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    An other example if you are selling one wrist watch as each UOM but your are buying from vendor as a carton which have 50 watches inside. So you can define Purchase UOM 1 carton and in that UOM define the qty of selling UOM.

Hi Sajid,

I think you miss read the issue here. The example you give of watches, is a good and CORRECT example of how UOMs can be used in NAV, in your case one watch is the smallest sellable unit. BUT referring back to the original post, what would you do if you ordered 1 box of 50 wathces, but instead the vendor sent you 3 boxes of 33 1/3 watches in each box. I am sure you can see it just does not work.

When using UOMs you need to think in terms of the smallest unit of measure that you can sell. Normally if I go into a supermarket, then its very different to buy 2 0.5 liter bottles of water compared to buying 1 1liter bottle. In that case you could have a carton of 12 0.5 liter bottles and a carton of 6 1l bottles, but they are each a different item.
    David Singleton
  • sajidhanifkhansajidhanifkhan Member Posts: 182
    DenSter wrote:
    A 500ML bottle is one Item, and it should be stored in EACH. A 2.5L bottle is a different Item and it should also be stored in EACH. Then by using the Item Unit of Measure you can then also store a BOX of 20 bottles, or a PALLET of 5 18L Bottles.

YOU CANNOT EXPRESS 2.5 LITER BOTTLES AS A NUMBER OF 500 MILILITER BOTTLES, THEY ARE DIFFERENT ITEMS!!!!

Refering back to the original query, He is not worry about storing the item he just need to calculate the inventory value and he has limitattion of one item with one selling UOM & one Purchasing UOM.

So my advice is not bad or funny if its only mattar of calculation otherwise your point is correct to crate a different item.

regards
    Your advice:
    1 bottle with 5L IS NOT THE SAME as 2 bottles with 2.5L. THAT is why your advice is so bad. It is simply not a matter of calculation, they are two different things.

The only way to go from 1 bottle of 5 L to 2 bottles of 2.5 L is to open the 5L bottle, and pour the water into the smaller bottles. This is a manufacturing issue, not a unit of measure conversion.