Data Import into Navsion and Permissions - Help Needed

Nav_Vision_UserNav_Vision_User Member Posts: 36
Hello,

Our company is currently going through an implementation of Navision 5.01, hence me being completely new to it. We need to import a list of customers, vendors, items etc into Navision, the quickest way is to import the data is from a excel worksheet. I have downloaded and tested “universalexcelimporter 1.2” (nav object file) from this website, this works fine in standalone version of Navision (hence demo version coronus) however when I try to do the same on the actually database which is sitting on the server, as soon as I want to run the object file I get a error “you do not have permission to run “universalexcelimporter” codeunit contact your system manager if you need to have your permissions changed”.
My question is that is this error message to do with SQL server (permissions) or the actual granules on Navision that we have purchased? Or has my third-party vendor applied these restrictions? Also if anyone knows how I can lift these restrictions, I would be grateful if you can tell me how. Or is there any other way I can import a block of data into Navision?

I know there are many Navision experts on this website so any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am completely new to this please can you give me step-by-step instructions. Thank you in advance

Comments

• kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    You need to see two things:

a) Look at the permissions / roles that are assigned to your user name from the tools->security options.

If your permissions are OK then

b) Check which license you are using on your test database, and which on your SQL server. Maybe that license does not include the same object ranges as yours...
  • Nav_Vision_UserNav_Vision_User Member Posts: 36
    Hi Thanks for your reply, I have checked my permissions and are set to "super" and the granules do vary from the test database (cronus) to the ones we have on our license.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    The process of data conversion really does need help from your partner. This is not a process you wnat to start experimenting with. If you get the data wrong now, it will end out costing you more to fix it than the money you saved by doing it your self.

When your partner sold Navision to you, they will have created a project plan that includes everything you need to know about data conversion, how much it will cost and how long it will take. Follow that plan.

if your partner did nt allow for data conversion then you need to look for a new partner.
    David Singleton
  • Nav_Vision_UserNav_Vision_User Member Posts: 36
    Ok, David, i'll take your advice, its just i wanted to have sample data, so my users could play around with the test system on the server. But i do agree with your comment. Thanks
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Ok, David, i'll take your advice, its just i wanted to have sample data, so my users could play around with the test system on the server. But i do agree with your comment. Thanks

I fully understnad that.

But the creation of a test database with your customers items and vendors should be one of the first things you do with your partner. It is a learning process for you, BUT not a learning process you want to do on your own.

My normal procedure is to run an initial dataconversion on the test database and use this both to test the conversion tools, AND to create a playground environment for the users to start working.

Don't get me wrong, what you are doing is a great way to learn. but the dnager (and I have seen this often) is that when it comes to the real dataconversion, a decision is made that lots of work went into the playgound company, so lets use that data. Inevitably the data is not as clean as was thought, posting groups are missing or set up wrong, and months are spent cleaning up live data.
    David Singleton