How does Navision manage data per company

CuypzCuypz Member Posts: 56
Hello all,

Here's a structural question for all you Navision buffs out there: A single table can be used by all companies in a database. How does Navision keep those records separated, to avoid that Company X sees Company Y data and vica versa? Is there a hidden "company no." field in each table or something...

Same goes for SQL Navision: how does Navision work there?

If we understand HOW it works, then we might be able to see if we can manipulate it.

Thanks for your time and help.

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Cuypz wrote:
    Hello all,

Here's a structural question for all you Navision buffs out there: A single table can be used by all companies in a database. How does Navision keep those records separated, to avoid that Company X sees Company Y data and vica versa? Is there a hidden "company no." field in each table or something...

Same goes for SQL Navision: how does Navision work there?

If we understand HOW it works, then we might be able to see if we can manipulate it.

Thanks for your time and help.

Basically yes there is a Field 0 that is company name in Native. (Or may be I should say was). I had beard that this had been changed in some version of server.exe, but I am not sure. One side effect of this was that if you locked a table in one company it locked all companies, since they were all the same table.

Also at one stage the code was exposed by a command to set global filter, where (the same as company level) you could place a filter on any field that became global.

In SQL it is done by simply creating new tables, which means that companies are in completely separate tables in SQL terms.

In terms of manipulating it, that would involve illegally hacking the server.exe program, which as well as being illegal, is also dangerous and a waste of time that could be better spent.

I have implemented many multi company systems, since NAV 1.3 and have not found any limitation that prevented the users from doing their job.
    David Singleton