Navision client crashing on Win2003 x64 on print preview

BoerLowieBoerLowie Member Posts: 5
Hi,

we are using Navision 4.0 and 5.0 on Windows 2003 x64 Terminal Server (with Citrix). We also use Amyuni PDF 3.03 to generate PDF's from Navision.

This worked flawless on Windows 2003 x86 but we're having issues on x64.

When the default printer is set to the PDF printer, Navision crashes when generating a print preview (does this on EVERY report!). When we set the default printer to another 'normal' printer, all goes well.

Anybody has any ideas on this?

An alternative to Amyuni is also welcome, but it must be a rock solid tool to generate PDF's...

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    may be it is problem described there: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29181&p=141615
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • BoerLowieBoerLowie Member Posts: 5
    Thanks!

I looked at it and we indeed had similar problems when printing from a NAS. Our NAS-ses however run on Win2003 x86.

The problem lies within the PDF Printer i think because when i change the default printer for a particilar user, it works directly. When i change it back, it crashes on generating a preview.

For some reason, it works on 2 server, where it doesn't work on our other 2 servers. As far as i can see everything is setup identically between the 4 servers...

Thanks for your help so far!
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    64bit is quite sensitive to printers, most drivers for that matter, in that they do need to be specific 64bit drivers. The PDF converter in this case is seen as a printer driver.

I think you know what the problem is, so I am not sure what answer you want. Either you need to get a 64bit version of your PDF converter, or move back to 32bit.

As an "aside" question, why did you move TS to 64bit. I would imagine that the applications you are running are mainly 32 bit (Navision specifically) so surely 32 bit would make more sense.
    David Singleton
    The printerdriver is x64 and works from 32-bit applications.

Strange thing is that is works for a period of time and then it stops working (eg. navision crashing on a print preview. If you actually print something without previewing first it works without a problem!).

Our drivers are all certified for citrix and x64 so that shouldn't be an issue.

We moved to x64 because we are moving from 10+ x86 TS-ers to 4 powerfull x64 servers (Dual Quadcore, 16 GB RAM, ...). Everything works like a charm besides the printing preview from time to time... very strange problem.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    BoerLowie wrote:
    We moved to x64 because we are moving from 10+ x86 TS-ers to 4 powerfull x64 servers (Dual Quadcore, 16 GB RAM, ...).

That all makes sense then.

Navision's print preview has allways been a problem. I don't know Amyuni, so I can't help much there, but your symptoms My guess is that some settings are bwing saved with the PDF converter software, and some how Navision is doing something wrong when getting infor about paper size etc to be able to do a preint preview.

It could be as simple as the function in NAV that checks if print form print preview is possible (i.e. has any data been commited in the preview session).

I would still double ( or tripple) check that you really do have a 64 bit version of Amyuni. Since that seems to be the issue here.

BTW you should have said up front that this is an intermittent issue
    ](*,) one other thing to check is that all 4 servers are identical. Maybe one of the servers has a bad driver, and its only on that machine you are having problems.
    David Singleton
    It's indeed a strange issue.

I removed the PDF Driver from the TS-ers and reinstalled it and it works smooth now... Last time it worked for about one week before Navision started crashing without any change to the driver/PDF/TS/...

We are hosting up to 80 users on 1 TS, but our goal is to get it up to 200.

I'll keep on monitoring and will update this post.

Apart from that, NAV on x64 TS runs very good. We see better performance than on x86, but the hardware itself is offcourse more powerfull.