NAS needs restart every morning

kfuglsangkfuglsang Member Posts: 26
Hi all,

I have a NAS running at a client that runs a lot of services during the day. During the night, however, it is not being utilized and I believe this causes it to "die" over night.

Every morning I have to manually log on to the server and restart the service to make it reconnect to the database server (native by the way). The client is running on C/SIDE 3.60.

Any ideas how I can solve this issue?

Best regards
Kenneth

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    do you found some entries in the EventLog?
    Is the database server shutdown at night?
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Native or SQL server? If Native, how the DB is backed up?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • kfuglsangkfuglsang Member Posts: 26
    It's native.
    The database server is not restarted over night. The NAS doesn't log any errors to the event log - it just doesn't respond.

I'm not sure how they make their backups but I would suspect they use hotcopy. I'll find out about this though.
    Backups are created with hotcopy.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    you can write a .bat file that you can schedule with windows scheduler

The .bat file will have

Net stop "NASServiceName"
    Net start "NASServiceName"
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kfuglsang wrote:
    Backups are created with hotcopy.

My guess would be that since you were not 100% certain how they make their backups, that maybe you are not 100% certain that they are shutting down the server. I would check again to see if they are telling th truth, and in fact maybe they are shutting down the server.
    David Singleton
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kfuglsang wrote:
    The database server is not restarted over night.

Unless you sit there for 24 hours and watch it, you can never be certain. Here is a true story of a case I once had like this:

Navision bug, the server keeps crashing - Dynamics
    David Singleton
    I have verified that the backups are indeed created with hotcopy (and only on fridays [-o< ).

I don't feel like implementing a daily restart of the NAS' to be a solid solution. I have been told that they also experience the problem in the evening, but often only notice it when they start to work in the morning.
    kfuglsang wrote:
    The database server is not restarted over night.

Unless you sit there for 24 hours and watch it, you can never be certain. Here is a true story of a case I once had like this:

Navision bug, the server keeps crashing - Dynamics
    I verified by looking through the event log to see that the service does not restart.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    We have a similar issue with memory leaks on our NAS box (running multiple instances). We have a vb script that monitors their sessions in SQL. If they all get blocked an email gets sent for us to check (since this essentially shuts down the warehouse). We also have some sort of script that restarts it every morning. Not sure if that one is vb as well, but I think it is.