User names

lallylally Member Posts: 323
Hi,

What is the best way to give the User names to login ?
That means should I give according to name like Linda, Martin, David…
Or Like Finance , Sales, Purchase, warehouse..
Because we 11 concurrent users.
For example if i give the user name then that person has taken leave for 10 days then how ?
So what is the best way to give the User names to login.

Experts throw some help with your valuable experience.

Thanks and regards
lally

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    User Names are User Names, not role names... Susan is Susan...

Using user names leads to personal responsibility for their work. If they leave the company, their account is disabled, new user name for new user is created. Of course, in most cases the family name is used in the user name to distinguish between David and David... ;-)

Using role names will lead to the situation, when nobody will be responsible for their work, because you will be not able to lookup who made this and this mistake in history etc...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • lallylally Member Posts: 323
    Thanks Kine,

what i am trying to say is for example

User ID = Martin
    roles = Create sales orders , shipments, invoices.

for example this person has taken leave for 10 days then How ?

so what is the Best way to give User ids.

For example if i give the User ID = sales
    then under sales 3 persons has to work.
    suppose if anybody done mistake with the user ID then how to know who done mistake ?

Please clarify my doubt .

thanks and regards
    lally
    1) In Native DB, there is field "Expiration Date" for each user. If set, the user cannot login after this date... this is what to do when someone leave. On MS SQL, the account can be disabled in similar way, directly on SQL.

2) If you use "User ID = sales" you cannot distinguish between the user who made the mistake... it is why I strongly recommend to not use this... it is way to the hell... it will save you nothing...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • lallylally Member Posts: 323
    Thanks Kine ,

Finally your solution is

User Id = Person name and assign roles .

Thanks and regards
    lally
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    This is very company specific. In some highly volatile companies will insist on have SALES1, SALES2, PURCHASER1, etc as usernames as this reduces the administrative efforts required for constant accounts maintenance...
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
    idiot wrote:
    This is very company specific. In some highly volatile companies will insist on have SALES1, SALES2, PURCHASER1, etc as usernames as this reduces the administrative efforts required for constant accounts maintenance...

Yes, but it bring some other problems which can be much bigger than just adding and maintaining user accounts like account abuse etc.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.