Consolidation and SQL

RoelofRoelof Member Posts: 377
Hi,

One of our cllients has an issue with consolidating companies. Here are the facts:

- They have an G/L account set up like: 7300-0110 and 7300-0120.
- 2 Companies x and y are consolidated into company z.
- Version: 5.00.
- G/L AccountNos are matching for all companies.
- Database = SQL.
- Process: Financial Mgt-> General Ledger-> Periodic Activities-> Consolidation -> Business Units -> <Functions> "Import Database" (=Report 90).

When the process is finished, it inserted all entries in 7300-0110 and not (what it supposed to be) in 7300-0110 AND 7300-0120.

I have a feeling that this problem is related to the SQL sorting. SQL is sorting different then in a native database.

Anyone similar problems with this consilidation issue?
Roelof de Jonghttp://www.wye.com

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    In this case the sorting will be same, because both are not numbers but texts...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • RoelofRoelof Member Posts: 377
    Thanks for the replay.
    But why would you think it's text? The G/L account No. is a code field.
    Code is still just text... ;-) I did't talk about Data type, but about the value, because there is '-' inside, it is not number but text and will be sorted in both system in same way.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • RoelofRoelof Member Posts: 377
    I disagree.

SQL is sorting different then in a native db, using 'code' fields. One of the problems I had was in 'Account Schedules'. The RowNo on the Acc. Schedule line is a 'code' field. SQL is sorting it different and I had to change the row-numbering in order to get SQL sorted correctly. And I think something similar is going on now in the Consolidiation function.
    Yes, it sort differently, but only if the values are numbers. If there is '-' it is not number. Yes, some "blocks" can be in different order (e.g. number first and after numbers other values or non-numbers first and numbers after etc.) but if the code have same length and some non-numeric character, it is text and will be sorted as text. But all that depends on the values, SQLDataType setting, collation etc.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    Yes, it is the same sorting issue that causes issues with Account Schedules. I normally tell clients to avoid any hashing of account numbers in their g/l (didn't someone tell them to use dimensions instead of sub accounts? :D ) And FYI, it is why you should begin your account schedules with pleanty of zeros and not use alphanumeric combinations to avoid calculation mistakes (i.e. row number 0005, 0010, etc.)

I don't know of a SQL based fix for this, but the recommendation I do have is to point them to accounts slighting different in the top level company to see if that works. So for the consolidation portion of the g/l:

Company X and Y GL Account: 7300-0110
    Consolidation debit/credit GL Account: 73000110

Not sure if it will work, but it's the best I can think of right now. Good luck!