Licenses and companies

jlsabiojlsabio Member Posts: 38
I have one Database (Native 3.70) with several companies. The database is in the headquarter and all the users of the companies access to Navision with Terminal Server.

I want to have one database for one company. Each database will be located in each company. So, we dont need to use Terminal Server.

Do I need to buy licenses for each database ? Can i use my actual license for each database? It is a legal solution?

Thanks.

Comments

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    It would not be legal to install it in several locations and use the same license, however Microsoft will allow you to split your license for these purposes, so if you speak to your partner or Microsoft they should be able to help you.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    jlsabio wrote:
    I have one Database (Native 3.70) with several companies. The database is in the headquarter and all the users of the companies access to Navision with Terminal Server.

I want to have one database for one company. Each database will be located in each company. So, we dont need to use Terminal Server.

Do I need to buy licenses for each database ? Can i use my actual license for each database? It is a legal solution?

Thanks.

I am curious as to why you would want to do this. The cost to maintain one big server is far far cheaper than maintaining many small ones. Also you need far less power since you can better load balance.

What is the BUSINESS reason for splitting the databases?

Oddly I have done a lot of projects to consolidate multiple databases into one server, but can't remember ever doing the other way around.
    David Singleton
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    could you legally use one license to run different databases on the same server as long as you did not exceed the license count?
    davmac1 wrote:
    could you legally use one license to run different databases on the same server as long as you did not exceed the license count?

No.
    David Singleton
  • jlsabiojlsabio Member Posts: 38
    I want to do this because we dont want to use Citrix, Terminal Server or another remote software. We want to "attack" the databases from the local clients (in the same LAN).

the databases are very small and we prefer split them.

It is a legal solution?

Thank you.

jlsabio wrote:

Thanks.

I am curious as to why you would want to do this. The cost to maintain one big server is far far cheaper than maintaining many small ones. Also you need far less power since you can better load balance.

What is the BUSINESS reason for splitting the databases?

Oddly I have done a lot of projects to consolidate multiple databases into one server, but can't remember ever doing the other way around.
    jlsabio wrote:
    It is a legal solution?

Which part of NO do you not understand? :-k
    David Singleton
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    davmac1 wrote:

No.
    Are you sure? I didn't read anything about that in any document regarding license agreement. If the databases are on one server, and you are using one license, it is ok. The sessions are counted together etc...

But of course, it is not working when the databases are on different servers...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    davmac1 wrote:

No.
    Are you sure? I didn't read anything about that in any document regarding license agreement. If the databases are on one server, and you are using one license, it is ok. The sessions are counted together etc...

But of course, it is not working when the databases are on different servers...

Hmm I think the license agrement very clearly states that this is a PER-Database license.

Of course there are license options in some countries for Multi Database and even multi server licenses. But in answer to the specific question, I am quite sure it is NO.
    David Singleton