Change Item caption

genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
Hello
A client wants to change the caption on Item table to Car and everywhere else it is being referenced.
It will take about 1 hour to export the ENU caption and change Item No. to Car No. and import them.

Then reset the date time and modified flag as was before.

For upgrades they would do the same for the Item no.
So the client is asking for how it would take, and I am suggest that users can learn to use Item No and it is more standard Nav. But wanted your suggestion.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Me personally, I will definitely not go into this modification. Making that will make whole support for your customer much more expansive, because each consultant will need to know, that "Car" means "Item" etc. and whole upgrade etc. will be more expansive. Train people on customer side will be much less expansive than that...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    In my "Car Solution" for 3 local Car dealers here, I've also not change the captions.
    It's better to teach the customer.
    Don't forgett. On every updaet / upgrade / hotfix you must change this. And will the customer pay this? I think not. So explain them: Item is car, Resource is the material or the employee work time.
    My customers have no problems with the word "Item".

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    generic wrote:
    Hello
    A client wants to change the caption on Item table to Car and everywhere else it is being referenced.
    It will take about 1 hour to export the ENU caption and change Item No. to Car No. and import them.

Then reset the date time and modified flag as was before.

For upgrades they would do the same for the Item no.
    So the client is asking for how it would take, and I am suggest that users can learn to use Item No and it is more standard Nav. But wanted your suggestion.

Kamil has covered the obvious issue, but I would like to add more.

This is a very slipery slope you are getting on right now, and its never ending. Once you modify one little thing like thi, it becomes never ending. The project costs will multiply, and the project will be delayed endlessly. You will have a fight over weather they should use the word Car or Auto, then they will find that they also sell spare parts, so they need a new caption for spares.

I am pretty sure I posted this in the last few days, but this looks like another project where the customer wants their old system and thus there is really no point in selling them Navision. If they were my customer, I would give them three options.
    1/ stay on their current product
    2/ use excel
    3/ use Navision and learn to use it properly.

next question after you say yes to this request is "AH we need pop up windows every time any user enters anything in any field to ask them three times to say OK".

Remember the most powerful tool that any Navision consultant has is "The Word NO!" Best is to learn to use that tool. :mrgreen:
    David Singleton