NAV 4.0 - Publish in Active Directory or maybe not

EnduroEnduro Member Posts: 2
Hi

I have a customer with a Navision Server 4.0 SP3 and two databases. Every day they get some error-events in the eventvwr at their databaseserver and I want them to disappear. Here is the events:

EventID: 20010 Source: Customer_DRIFT and Customer_TEST
The system failed to update Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision Database Server Service Connection Point in Active Directory.
The registry entry does not exist.

EventID: 20010 Source: Customer_DRIFT and Customer_TEST
The program failed to publish Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision Database Server Service Connection Point in Active Directory.
In order for Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision Database Server to publish a Service Connection Point, the Active Director

I know why these events occurs but I don't know how to get rid of them. I can see two solutions here, one way is to publish the information in the Active directory and the other way is to stop Navison trying to publish it self. We don´t really need the information to be published. We can specify the servername manually...

I've tried to run schemaxt.exe but this application crash. The database server is a Windows 2003 SP2 server but the server with the AD is Windows 2008 Server. Maybe the schemaxt.exe in NAV 4 is not compatible with a 2008 AD?

I want a solution which let me publish the info in the AD or let me remove this feature so the errors disappears, thanks in advance!

Regards
Mattias

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I never saw that the schemaxt.exe succeeded. I never heard about way how to disable this "feature" in the NAV DB Server. If you will use NAS (Navision application server), you will haven't that problem, because this message is written into log when the database is automatically closed/opened when all users logged out or first user log in. If there is NAS still logged in, there is no autoclose and it means no message in event log...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • theo.stheo.s Member Posts: 24
    Hi there - I am also frustrated by not being able to publish the NAV Servers in AD, as it used to work fine "in the old days". I dont recall exactly where it went wrong, but I certainly saw schemaxt.exe succeed - it might have been some of the V3.xx version that still worked.

Another related anoying thing is that since about V4, the NAV Server and Application Server Event Log messages all have this long prelude e.g.
    "The description for Event ID ( 20010 ) in Source ( <machineName> ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The system failed to retrieve the object from Active Directory."

This never used to be the case in the earlier versions (3.xx) of NAV. it is asif the whole AD-related aspect of the install went wrong, and nobody bothered to fix it.

What is your experience?

Regards,
    Theo Stock
    edited 2008-10-22
    To get rid of the text in the event log, you can use this: http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/kine/arch ... /6415.aspx

It is problem when you register the service manually and because Windows do not know which application to ask for additional info about the message, they display this text. You can try to set the server.exe as the application which will answer the questions for WIndows...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • theo.stheo.s Member Posts: 24
    Thanks, Kamil
    are you sure about Article ID 811030? it does not seem to relate to this problem (or am I missing something)

Thanks Theo
    Sorry, wrong url in my clipboard... :-) URL corrected...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.