Technical requirements for Dynamics NAV 5.0

abnainasabnainas Member Posts: 174
Dear All,

I just want to ask about some Technical requirements for Dynamics NAV 5.0 as follows:

>> Reporting:
1. Provision of a portfolio of standard reports.
2. Provision of an adhoc report generator that provide the reporting capability of report products such as: Business Objects
3. Ability to support for importing and exporting of standard desktop office application files, including but not limited to Microsoft Office suite
4. Ability to provide for the distribution of reports by: Local or remote printing ,Web browser, Download to Excel or Word, E-mail notification
5. Ability to provide for and supports viewing of reports online
6. bility to provide for and supports report output to be routed to Microsoft Office Suite products such as Excel, Word, and Access
7. Ability to export soft copies reports into office package.

>> Maintain User Profiles:
1. Ability to create a user group access profile and apply the following attributes/ access rights and action right (read, write, delete, modify):
- module
- screens
- fields within screens
- by date and time
- Authority level by any combination of the following:
- transaction type
- value
2. Ability to define the language settings/prefrences for users
3. Provides a single sign-on to all your package’s application modules

>> Security Requirements:
1. Ability to set up individualized profiles for user access.
2. Ability to define group security profiles which can be assigned to multiple users.
3. Provides lock-out/revocation capability after a series of unsuccessful sign-on attempts by the user
4. Ability to apply role-based authorization and security for personnel information throughout the system
5. Ability to provides periodic forced password change based on security standards (e.g. users can not use previously used passwords)
6. Ability to provide expiration dates for passwords .
7. The system should limit number of unsuccessful log-on attempts.
8. The system should Automatic log off after a predefined period of time of inactive use.
9. The system should maintain a log of unauthorized attempts to access system.

>> Integration:
1. Ability to integrate all systems modules according to best practices.
2. Open API with related technical documentation to allow integration with external systems

Please Advice,

Best Regards
Ahmad Bani Naser
Dynamics NAV Developer

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    This is a RFI. If you are a partner you should have enough knowledge to answer this or quit being a partner.

It you are an end user then go to a partner.

This is a free forum with volunteers.
  • abnainasabnainas Member Posts: 174
    AnyHow..... I'm not a partner.

Do you have any answers or documents.......

Please advice
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Really, if we will give you the info, it can be biased and you can understand it wrongly. It is much better to talk about that with someone personally, to precede possible misunderstanding. Some presentation will give you much more than some words on the internet.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Then......
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    abnainas wrote:
    Dear All,

I just want to ask about some Technical requirements for Dynamics NAV 5.0 as follows:

I assume that the answer you want to hear is : "Yes Navision does all of this as standard, and also makes coffee in the morning and its open source free ware." As Mark as said, a community forum is not the right place to post an RFI. In any case form my experience with such requests, this looks like basically you have an exiting package that you basically like, but has some features that you don't like. And you want to knwo that Navision will fix them.

This is absolutely the wrong way to purchase software, and I can pretty much guarantee you right now that this implementation will be a total disaster. It will be over budget by an unbelievable amount and the Go-Live date will be pushed back 5-10 times, and be at least 12 months late in the end.

The questions you are asking have no connection to ERP, and no link to your business. It does not matter how you log in to the system, ANY system can be made to work securely. Navision can be made to successfully work to SOX standards.

I see this RFI as similar to going to buy a new car, and haveing a list of requirement for the car that are:

Requirements
    Color - Green;
    Audio - must have MP3 ability;
    Alloy wheels
    Can the doors be unlocked by remote control;
    Air conditioning;
    Leather seats;
    Tinted Windows;
    Xeon headlights;

Then you go to pick up the car at the dealer, and there is a Smart Car waiting for you, and you say to the sales guy, but I have a family of my spouse, three kids a Labrador and I, we go camping on weekends how did you expect us to fit in this?

So basically if you ask for a green car, then expect a green car, but if you expect a 7 seater, then ask for a seven seater.
    David Singleton
    I don't know why all this about... it's just questions!

AnyHow, Thanks for giving me nothing.

Regards,
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer
    abnainas wrote:
    I don't know why all this about... it's just questions!

Regards,

Actually you got some very good advise FOR FREE, but you seem unable to see that.

Good luck.
    David Singleton
    Thanks for your efforts.

Good luck
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    abnainas wrote:
    you are frustrated because you don't understand. I commend you for making an effort to figure this out on your own. You're an end user with questions about NAV so you post them in a forum that has many NAV people in it. Good choice, nothing wrong with it.

What you need to understand though, is that these questions are questions that you would ask a partner during the presales phase. The RFI is nothing more than something to open the door, to get the presales team into your office so they can ask the questions that really matter. It actually takes a LOT of time to address all of your issues (we're talking hours and hours), and most people in a forum of volunteers will not be willing to take that time for free. The people who DO answer, do this in just a matter of minutes, and you won't be able to really trust that information.

Please find a NAV partner and have them address these issues. This is not to give you nothing, this is actually the best advice you can get, and you are getting it for free. The people that you are discussing this with are some of the top NAV consultants in the world, and their advice usually comes with a price tag. Please consider this and try to understand that we have your best interest in mind.
  • erp_usererp_user Member Posts: 2
    Dear abaninas,

I will give you all the answers:

>> Reporting:
    1. Provision of a portfolio of standard reports. No (Not Clear)
    2. Provision of an adhoc report generator that provide the reporting capability of report products such as:
    Business Objects Yes
    3. Ability to support for importing and exporting of standard desktop office application files, including but not limited to Microsoft Office suite Yes
    4. Ability to provide for the distribution of reports by: Local or remote printing ,Web browser, Download to Excel or Word, E-mail notification No(Not clear)
    5. Ability to provide for and supports viewing of reports online No (Not Clear)
    6. bility to provide for and supports report output to be routed to Microsoft Office Suite products such as Excel, Word, and Access Yes
    7. Ability to export soft copies reports into office package. Yes

1. Ability to create a user group access profile and apply the following attributes/ access rights and action right (read, write, delete, modify):
    - module yes
    - screens yes
    - fields within screens yes
    - by date and time yes
    - transaction type yes
    - value yes
    2. Ability to define the language settings/prefrences for users yes
    3. Provides a single sign-on to all your package’s application modules No (Not clear)

1. Ability to set up individualized profiles for user access. yes
    2. Ability to define group security profiles which can be assigned to multiple users. yes
    3. Provides lock-out/revocation capability after a series of unsuccessful sign-on attempts by the user yes
    4. Ability to apply role-based authorization and security for personnel information throughout the system yes
    5. Ability to provides periodic forced password change based on security standards (e.g. users can not use previously used passwords) yes
    6. Ability to provide expiration dates for passwords . yes
    7. The system should limit number of unsuccessful log-on attempts. No
    8. The system should Automatic log off after a predefined period of time of inactive use. No
    9. The system should maintain a log of unauthorized attempts to access system. No
    >> Integration:
    1. Ability to integrate all systems modules according to best practices. Yes
    2. Open API with related technical documentation to allow integration with external systems No
    Dear erp_user,

Can you be more specific.

Regards
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
  • TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    =D> for erp_user :wink:
  • erp_usererp_user Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Tomas,
    edited 2009-01-07
    :)
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer
  • mart1n0mart1n0 Member Posts: 123
    I assume that the answer you want to hear is : "Yes Navision does all of this as standard, and also makes coffee in the morning and its open source free ware." As Mark as said, a community forum is not the right place to post an RFI. In any case form my experience with such requests, this looks like basically you have an exiting package that you basically like, but has some features that you don't like. And you want to knwo that Navision will fix them.

Wow David you have talent explaining things, I really like your comparisons, you explain it so simple yet so good. =D>

Why don't we add another forum to post stuff like this: pro deo consulting (for patient people: Me know nothing, me from Barcelona). :wink:
    Please All, Just Make =D> for mart1n0!
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    erp_user wrote:
    Dear abaninas,

I will give you all the answers:

>> Reporting:
    1. Provision of a portfolio of standard reports. No (Not Clear)
    2. Provision of an adhoc report generator that provide the reporting capability of report products such as:
    Business Objects Yes
    3. Ability to support for importing and exporting of standard desktop office application files, including but not limited to Microsoft Office suite Yes
    4. Ability to provide for the distribution of reports by: Local or remote printing ,Web browser, Download to Excel or Word, E-mail notification No(Not clear)
    5. Ability to provide for and supports viewing of reports online No (Not Clear)
    6. bility to provide for and supports report output to be routed to Microsoft Office Suite products such as Excel, Word, and Access Yes
    7. Ability to export soft copies reports into office package. Yes

- module yes
    - screens yes
    - fields within screens yes
    - by date and time yes
    - transaction type yes
    - value yes
    2. Ability to define the language settings/prefrences for users yes
    3. Provides a single sign-on to all your package’s application modules No (Not clear)

1. Ability to set up individualized profiles for user access. yes
    2. Ability to define group security profiles which can be assigned to multiple users. yes
    3. Provides lock-out/revocation capability after a series of unsuccessful sign-on attempts by the user yes
    4. Ability to apply role-based authorization and security for personnel information throughout the system yes
    5. Ability to provides periodic forced password change based on security standards (e.g. users can not use previously used passwords) yes
    6. Ability to provide expiration dates for passwords . yes
    7. The system should limit number of unsuccessful log-on attempts. No
    8. The system should Automatic log off after a predefined period of time of inactive use. No
    9. The system should maintain a log of unauthorized attempts to access system. No
    >> Integration:
    1. Ability to integrate all systems modules according to best practices. Yes
    2. Open API with related technical documentation to allow integration with external systems No

When I go through the answers, I can see that many of them are wrong. They are talking about standard product, but nothing about possibilities. It is why it is hard to answer them correctly.

Examples:

1. Provision of a portfolio of standard reports. Yes
    3. Provides a single sign-on to all your package’s application modules Yes
    8. The system should Automatic log off after a predefined period of time of inactive use. Yes
    9. The system should maintain a log of unauthorized attempts to access system. Yes
    2. Open API with related technical documentation to allow integration with external systems Yes

As you can see, two people, two set of answers. Both sets of answers are giving you some view on the system, but both are wrong, because the picture you will create based on these answers will be wrong. It is like when you make 10 colored points on canvas and you say that it is Mona Lisa. Everyone will imagine the Mona Lisa in different way...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    mart1n0 wrote:
    Wow David you have talent explaining things, I really like your comparisons, you explain it so simple yet so good. =D>

Thank you. :D
    David Singleton
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    abnainas wrote:
    Dear All,

AnyBody wants to participate in this discussion

It appears you're blocking out good advice given to you and only listening on what you want to hear.

Good advice:
    Ask your local MSFT partner to guide you through the software and it's capabilities

What you want to hear:
    yes, no, yes, yes, yes, no... Then ask a "please be more specific"

And in the end, not being grateful for the excellent free advice given and say "thanks for nothing".
    Better yet, please post the following information here:
    -Name of your company
    -Your name
    -Company address
    -Phone number
    -Your budget for the new system
    -When do you plan to make the purchase
    -Number of users
    -When you would like to go live

After you provide these information, you can be sure you get a full and complete answer to your questions.
    abnainas wrote:
    AnyHow..... I'm not a partner.

Do you have any answers or documents.......

Please advice

Looking at your previous posts, it looks like you DO support NAV customers. You may or may not be a partner, but using this forum to do your sales work will only lead to you NOT being able to close the deal... :(
    Dear All,

I just want to thank all the peoples who participate in this issue. I'm realy grateful.

I'm already have the the full answers.

Regards 8)
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer
    abnainas wrote:
    I'm already have the the full answers.
    If you are referring to the yes/no reply in this thread then most definately NO you do NOT have the full answers.
    Dear DenSter,

If you have the answers.... Please Go Ahead

Regards
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer
    Tomas wrote:
    =D> for erp_user :wink:

I assume by the wink that you meant that sarcasticly. :lol:
    David Singleton
    abnainas wrote:
    Dear DenSter, If you have the answers.... Please Go Ahead
    I already gave you an answer, as did a number of other people, but it appears that you refuse to listen #-o look just because someone took 2 minutes and put random 'yes' and 'no' answers with your questions, does not mean that now "you have all the answers". That's just simply not enough, you need more information. This forum is NOT the right place to get that information, you need to get in touch with your partner. I can't believe I'm repeating this, you're not going to listen this time either. It's your party, do what you want, I'm done in this discussion.
    abnainas wrote:
    Dear DenSter,

If you have the answers.... Please Go Ahead

Regards

I think that the answer you want, the answer to the ultimate question is forty two.
    David Singleton