How to run Nav 4.0 and Nav 5.0 on the same computer?

BeckaBecka Member Posts: 178
Hey guys!!
I wanna install Nav 5.0 on my computer. Is it possible to work with Nav 4.0 and Nav 5.0 on the same computer?
If any experience with such kinda stuff, please just share.. :mrgreen:
Thanks a lot
MCSD
Attain Navision

Answers

• nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    You can have multi versions o Navision in same computer. I have 3.X, 4.X and 5.x in same computer. Before installing 5.X version copy 4.X folder and you will be able to run Navision without install.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • BeckaBecka Member Posts: 178
    Which folder? Client?
    MCSD
    Attain Navision
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Becka,

Yes, that's correct
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    You dosn't need to install the NAV client. It's enough to copy the Client folder to your harddisk.
    If your question is not for the Client only, also for Serverside, there is also no problem if you use SQL Server.
    If you use Native, read this HowTo

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    garak wrote:
    You dosn't need to install the NAV client. It's enough to copy the Client folder to your harddisk.
    If your question is not for the Client only, also for Serverside, there is also no problem if you use SQL Server.

Regards

For NAV 5.X I personally recommend recommend to install it. Many components such has mail, etc don’t run if it’s simply copied. You can install manually those components but it’s overkill.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • BeckaBecka Member Posts: 178
    thanks a lot :mrgreen:
    MCSD
    Attain Navision
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    garak wrote:

Regards

I agree with nuno on this. You should always install the latest version or you will sometime down the line have issues with missing OCXs/DLLs.

My recommendation is to :

Make a full copy of the entire CLIENT folder of 4.00 (eg to "Copy of NAV400sp3").
    Uninstall 4.00
    Install 5.00SP1
    Rename the copied folder to the original name (e.g. NAV400sp3).

Once you have done this many times, you can take short cuts, but if its you first time and you are not certain, then do it this way to get it right.
    David Singleton
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    @David and nuno: This is also what i mean (misunderstood). I explain only, that it is also possible to copy the folders to use NAV. OK, some dll's not registred and so you can't use some granules perfectly .....

For me, i install ever the latest version, because this is the actual version which my customers use.
    For customers with old version i copy the client folders from CD / DVD to harddisk or use my VPC images (for example for NAV2009 or for new SPs)

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!