Is it OK to just zip an fdb?

afarrafarr Member Posts: 287
I have found fbk backups to be very troublesome and time-consuming to restore (for different clients, both in SQL and native versions).
We tell our clients on SQL to use SQL backup, which is much faster and straightforward.

We also have a client on native Nav 5, and we have told them to just zip the fdb file (actually:
1. make sure no one is using the dbase;
2. make a copy of the fdb;
3. zip the copy).

Is there any disadvantage to making backups like this with WinZip (or some other compression utility)?
I can’t see the point of using fbk’s (except for backing up just selected companies or parts of the database).

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Alastair Farrugia

Comments

• Timo_LässerTimo_Lässer Member Posts: 481
    afarr wrote:
    We also have a client on native Nav 5, and we have told them to just zip the fdb file (actually:
    1. make sure no one is using the dbase;
    2. make a copy of the fdb;
    3. zip the copy).
    You can also use "hotcopy" to make a copy of your fdb during users are logged in.
    Timo Lässer
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer since 1997
    MSDynamics.de - German Microsoft Dynamics Community - member of [clip]
  • toootooo Member Posts: 138
    Only problem i've found when zipping fdbs' is that they can very easily get corrupted from the zipping on the customer end to the sending/recieving and un-zipping on your end.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I never zip fdb files, I always use fbk's or SQL Server backups for the purpose of backing up a database. I don't see how it can be bad though, as long as you are careful not to copy a database that is in use.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    If you do zip the FDB make sure to stop the NAV Server beforehand.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • EugeneEugene Member Posts: 309
    when you create fbk file you do not store indexes in it
    when you zip fdb file then you have indexes in it

so zipped fbk file would take less space than zipped fdb
    but because fbk does not hold indexes it means the restore process will be recreating them and it takes ALOT of time