Upgrade 2.50 to 5 SP1 no objects only executables

zeonzeon Member Posts: 130
edited 2008-10-07 in Navision Financials
I need to do a runtime upgrade from 2.50 to 5.0SP1. My agenda is:

1. Do backup of current db
2. Test current db (File->Database->Test)
3. Restore 2.50 backup into 5.0SP1
4. Test db in 5.0SP1 (File->Database->Test)
5. Upgrade server
6. Upgrade clients
7. Process testing by users

Is that all there is to it? Is there anything I need to be aware of? Tips and comments are welcome!

TIA

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Just from the top of my head.,,

Refresh your license!

Be prepared for some issues with new standard tables like Record Link.

The installer will fail on Windows 2000.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    That Mark forgets this (probably because he is typing with a child in each arm :D ):
    In case you go from native DB to SQL, you need to import the migrate.fob and run it to check if the data is ok for SQL.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Haha.

It did not say SQL migration. Native is still a valid option for 5.0 SP1.

You are correct, if moving to SQL migrate.fob is mandatory. Also add the nessesairy character checks depending on the collation you will be using.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    zeon wrote:
    I need to do a runtime upgrade from 2.50 to 5.0SP1. My agenda is:

1. Do backup of current db
    2. Test current db (File->Database->Test)
    3. Restore 2.50 backup into 5.0SP1
    4. Test db in 5.0SP1 (File->Database->Test)
    5. Upgrade server
    6. Upgrade clients
    7. Process testing by users

Is that all there is to it? Is there anything I need to be aware of? Tips and comments are welcome!

TIA

here is a quick article about my steps to doing this.

NAV technical upgrade - Dynamics
    David Singleton
    kriki wrote:
    That Mark forgets this (probably because he is typing with a child in each arm :D ):
    In case you go from native DB to SQL, you need to import the migrate.fob and run it to check if the data is ok for SQL.

I disagree with this statement. :oops: The poster mentioned an executable upgrade, which (IMHO) is totally different to a Native to SQL upgrade.
    David Singleton
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    kriki wrote:

I disagree with this statement. :oops: The poster mentioned an executable upgrade, which (IMHO) is totally different to a Native to SQL upgrade.
    I just put that in case the "technical" upgrade also included going from native to SQL. Because of the version-difference, it was something that just came to my mind. For some or other reason, my mind makes these equations :
    -2.50 = native
    -5.0SP1=SQL.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

"kriki wrote:
    I just put that in case the "technical" upgrade also included going from native to SQL. Because of the version-difference, it was something that just came to my mind. For some or other reason, my mind makes these equations :
    -2.50 = native
    -5.0SP1=SQL.

I guess it horses for course then, but I really think its very wrong the direction that all the forums are heading, where we are answering questions without actually knowing what the quesiton is. We are all becoming guilty of this, (even me) and we have to start forcing posters to explain the facts before answering their questions. Other wise we just create confussion.

Oh and as an FYI I have NEVER installed 2.50 on Native :shock: , only ever on SQL, bizzare as that sounds, so I allways equate 2.50 with SQL 7.0 and lots of problems and headaches and problems and more problems. (thats a bit off topic I guess :mrgreen: )
    David Singleton
    Actually this is an issue that has been bothering me for some months now. I actually wrote a huge blog about it but then decided against publishing it. Maybe I will redo it in a "toned down" version.

In principle though if we (the community leaders) answer questions on scraps of information, then we encourage posters to just post incomplete questions, and the cycle gets worse.

Sorry to throw this rant into someones thread like this.
    David Singleton