ADCS with more than 40 remote terminals/hand devices

AynaNavAynaNav Member Posts: 7
Hello all:

We are currently taking in consideration to add the ADCS(Automated Data Capture Systems) package to our current Navision project.
However we will be using a considerable qtty of hand-devices with the database.
I have been taking a look to the manual carefully, and to some other websites, where is explained that even when in theory it is possible to connect to a single NAS(Navision Application Server) as many devices (remote terminals) as required, performance could become an issue, since the NAS only can perform one task at a time, and while is busy, it will queue any other incoming request.

So the solution adviced in many cases is to configure ADSC with multiple NASes for the same database, directing terminals/devices, to different NASes to achieve improved performance.

I was just wondering if anybody has actually implemented these solutions or if maybe would have another idea of how to work with the ADCS and many remote terminals/ devices. Any comments/experiences/opinions will be more than welcome.

We currently use an SQL database, with Navision 4, but is an upgrade from a Navision 3.7.

Best regards
Thanks
Ayna

Comments

• jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    It's not the handhelds or ADCS that's the issue in your scenario, but probably going to be the resource demands of NAS (which is used to service requests for ADCS). I don't have any hard & fast numbers - but from what I've roughly seen in the past with other applications and what I've heard about ADCS you should use 1 NAS per 10 to 15 connections. So if you've got 40 users you will probably need to have 3 or 4 NAS instances running in your organization to support that workload.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • AynaNavAynaNav Member Posts: 7
    Thanks mate