Flowfields - Sql Queries ?

elephant_manelephant_man Member Posts: 6
i am very new at navision. I am writing web programs also. so i used to make database tables like this:

Table1 : Films (filmid,runtime,year...)
Table2 : Genre (genreid,Genre)
Table3 : FilmGenre(fid,gid)

but in navision i think i must use flowfield or something near to that to show them in forms reports vs.

How can i use them and where can i put those flowfields?

How can i change my mind to navision?

Is there a field or anything else to run joined sql queries?

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    hello, elephant.
    a good starting point to learn the programmers language is to read the manual "w1w1adg.pdf" (search for it).
    A flowfield is a field that doesn't store any values. The value is calculated at runtime by a formula (like sum, max, avg, exist, etc).

So on your example you need, for example in table films, only a flowfield if you need to know how many genres a film has (calcformula = Sum on table Filmgenre where Fid = FilmID). So the rest of you question i doesn't understand. Do you have problems to create the tables and the reports / forms or do you have problems to design the whole functionality of your application?

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • elephant_manelephant_man Member Posts: 6
    thanks but someway i need to show film's genre names in my card form. Can't i write query in source expression of that form tool? also what's my advantage for using sum flowfield and know how many genre on that film. i only want to show the names in forms and reports...
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi,

Think the problem is in the table design - why not add gid to the film table. Then add a count flowfield to the Genre table where genreid = gid.

The form will be based on the genre table and if you click on the count filed it will show all the film ( make sure you have a list form accosiated with the film table )

Hope this helps
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html