Dimensions?

MainahMainah Member Posts: 12
I have a G/L expense account called meals and I would like to track which employee is responsible for the expense. Is dimensions the best way to track this information?

Thanks

Comments

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Yes.
    Create a dimension code as Employee and define the rule for employee code mandatory.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Mainah wrote:
    I have a G/L expense account called meals and I would like to track which employee is responsible for the expense. Is dimensions the best way to track this information?

Thanks

Since you're entering the meal reimbursements as a purchase invoice, you can also use the Purchaser Code to keep track of this stuff. Then you would need to run a report based on the Purch. Inv. header and line tables to see the expenses by Purchaser.

Not really a big fan of using dimensions to keep track of minor stuff like this.
  • MainahMainah Member Posts: 12
    I am using 3.7 and don't see posting mandatory. When I go to G/L setup Global 1,2 as well as Shortcut 1,2 they are grayed out.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Go to chart of accounts or Master card of Gl account click on button "accounts" and then dimension.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Mainah wrote:

Thanks

Since you're entering the meal reimbursements as a purchase invoice, you can also use the Purchaser Code to keep track of this stuff. Then you would need to run a report based on the Purch. Inv. header and line tables to see the expenses by Purchaser.

Not really a big fan of using dimensions to keep track of minor stuff like this.

In the UK we have to report to the government regarding employee expenses and the type. By adding the employee and transaction type as dimensions you can create an analysis view in the same breakdown as the government reporting and save days of work back tracking through receipts or trying to extract the information from reports or GL transactions. The downside is you need to define two dimensions per expense.

This would take it away from the minor stuff Alex refers too, but I agree with Alex, if it is a minor requirement achieved by a known field and a report, this is probably a better solution.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen