G/L Acct Dimension Enforcement... can use ranges?

MW59MW59 Member Posts: 85
Greetings All,

I see that on the homepage, Alex finally says what we've all known for years. This IS better than MS support and I appreciate everyone (including Alex) around the world who has helped me in the past.

Anyway... I'm a PM (not developer) trying to help a NAV 5.0 SP1 (NA) user who wants something extra from dimension code enforcement on the G/L Account card.

I know we can enforce the use of any code, a specific code, or even bar the use of a code. But my user wants to declare that certain code ranges are okay while others are not for a single G/L account. Actually, it strikes me as a reasonable request.

Is there some way to achieve this short of throwing 1,000,000 <insert currency of choice> at Programming?

Thanks in advance for the feedback and I bid a good weekend to all.

mw
I despise animal testing. They get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

Answers

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Sorry but not possible without customization though I am curious to know the scenario.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • MW59MW59 Member Posts: 85
    ssingla wrote:
    Sorry but not possible without customization though I am curious to know the scenario.

Thanks for your reply and the scenario is pretty basic. They're using a single Global Dimension and in the case of (for example) G/L expense account 43500, they want to enforce the use of Departments 50, 51, 52, or 53. That is, one of those codes is mandatory. On the other hand, codes 60 & 61 are always the wrong answer. Of course, people use them anyway, so they want the s/w to prohibit that.
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi MW,

This is not a major change - change the table for additional code and the codeunit DimensionManagement (408) function CheckValuePosting.

Would definitely be able to delivery under the "1,000,000" budget :mrgreen:
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
    DaveT wrote:
    Would definitely be able to delivery under the "1,000,000" budget :mrgreen:

Dave... are you sure you're not in Sales? ;) Anyway, thanks for the tip and I'll inject it into what appears will be a programming issue.

Thanks again! <hoisting a shot of Crown Royal in your direction>

mw
  • djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
    $500k fixed price bid... PM me for details :)

That includes two weeks of on-site time as well, can be negotiated to more if you're somewhere sunny or with a large number of microbreweries...
    "OMG ALL MY DATA IS GONE"
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    1. You'll need to create a new table to store dimension restrictions against G/L accounts.
    2. Modify the CheckDimComb function in codeunit 408 so it checks for illegal combinations on the table in step 1
    3. if true, then error.

See! Easy! :whistle:
    Thank you very much Alex & DJ.
    DJ? I may be in touch after talking with the resident coder on Monday... sunshine abounds, there was a microbrewery (will check if deleted) and tornados always possible for a cool photo op. 8)
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Can you change the attribute of the topic to <Solved> (or also <Good Posting>) and remove the text from the title?]
    Please see Forum Rule(s) #3.9: Forum Rules.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

kriki wrote:
    [Can you change the attribute of the topic to <Solved> (or also <Good Posting>) and remove the text from the title?]
    Please see Forum Rule(s) #3.9: Forum Rules.

I did show the issue "solved" and removing the topic strikes me as counter-productive for other people searching for answers about the same question. I don't think I'm understanding you.

mw
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi MW,

What Alain is asking is to use the new way of marking a post solved i.e.

as opposed to writting [Solved] in the title.
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    DaveT wrote:
    Hi MW,

What Alain is asking is to use the new way of marking a post solved i.e.

as opposed to writting [Solved] in the title.

Correct.
    But I will have to rephrase my wording, it seems. :-k
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Well... I apologize. I had not previously paid attention to the "Attribute" field and at first, I thought I was being chastised for using "[ ]" instead of "{ }" to surround my "Solved" text. My first inclination was that I was being counseled by someone with way too much free time on their hands and I responded accordingly. :-({|=

I now understand and will use the "Attribute" field accordingly.

Cheers!
    mw