Losing Code Changes

bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
Ok, I may be crazy, but I'm not (too) stupid.

Yesterday I was working on a report, did a lot of work, and remember precisely where I left off. I had saved, compiled, and run the report many times in the session. And I [Alt-F-S (compile)] about ten times a minute when I'm really cooking. ANyway, I closed NAV properly, then did a daily backup of everything that changed on my system.

Today I went into the database and see about an hour's worth of work is missing. Not all, but at least an hour or so. I looked at my backup and the db is date/time stamped at the time I shut down and did the backup - and the report in the backup db is missing the same stuff there as well.

I have had this happen a couple of times before, and passed those off as somehow being my own fault. But this time I'm crystal clear on the sequence of events, what's missing, and that I didn't cause it.

Any scarred veterans out there with some sage wisdom?

Thanks' !!!

Bob

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    The question has to be asked...
    Are you sure your connecting to the same database?
    Are you positive of the object number?
  • bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
    Yup.

It is the correct db - it's the only one with the report I'm working on.

It is the correct object - it has the right name, and it's date/time stamped just over an hour before I shut down.

Honestly, I really, really tried to eliminate all such possibilities before posting this. (And, if I do discover it's my mistake, I'll own up to it here!)

Bob
    Is it like a local test database? I've never experience what you explained but I guess as an extra precaution you could always export the object to your hard drive when you're done.

I also assume no restore was done at aany point.
    Yes, this is a development database. I've got quite a few, but my 'filing' skills are well honed.

No, I didn't do any restoring.

I backup to a 500Gb MyBook using XXCOPY, and I can open the backup db directly without restoring anything.

Bob

I used to be :whistle: , but now NAV :mrgreen: has turned me into :-k
    Yes, this is a development database. I've got quite a few,
    Most people do hence the first question of are you sure it was actually saved in the database you think it was [-o<
  • Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    The only time I have really suffered with this is when I have accidently had 2 copies of the same object open in design. One I am working in and the other just open. THen when closing down saving my newly updated object and then not paying attention and saving the other one aswell and loosing my changes.

These days I am really careful about what I have opened where when doing dev work.

Ian
    Regards

Ian
    I've been guilty of that myself.
    Been there. Chipped my teeth on that. You learn (the hard way) fast.

There aught to be campaign stripes or merit badges for this stuff ... not to mention a cure!
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    The cure is to not open multiple instances of the same object! :mrgreen:
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    which version? In one 4.xx version was a bug if you have an object chache <> 0.
    You was the only user and no other has compiled all objects?
    Do you have after changing your code, and you has'nt leave the database, mark all objects and compile all objects?

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    Hi.

Ver 5, SP 0. Local database (no server/other users) in the equation.