NAV2009 best avoided?

boywonderboywonder Member Posts: 179
edited 2008-09-27 in NAV Three Tier
Interesting links to the upcoming NAV2009 release on here, thanks :)

From reading the Whats New / Developing Solutions I can see that this release is a "Windows Vista" for my clients...ie, definitely a release to avoid!!! Anyone remember Windows Millennium :whistle: :whistle:

I really can't see the advantage of changing to a more complex, potentially problematic, 3 tier system. Especially when very useful functionality has been removed (eg, code can't be placed behind report sections now only DataItems!?) :?

Also I read in one of the docs. that Matrix forms aren't supported properly in the new role based client but will be "introduced in a later version than NAV2009...."

Seems NAV2009 is just a beta then eh :lol:

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    I presume you are replying to another thread? You now have started a new topic.
  • boywonderboywonder Member Posts: 179
    Sorry, edited it now to make sense :wink:
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    One basic thing: take NAV 2009 as a new product based on older versions of NAV. You can compare only the background, not the product as a whole. As a user of older versions, you are in disadvantage, because each time you will compare the products. There are "missing" some functions, but there is much more added. All can be solved in another way than you are used to, but it doesn't mean that it is good or bad. It is just different ;-). Most problems with the new versions are based on "old way of thinking" about it. We are used to something, and now it's changing. We can think in same way, but it means we will extinct, or we can adapt and live much better and rich live 8) Yes, sometime the evolution means end of one thing, but in same moment it means begin of something new.

E.g. it can mean no code behind sections (it is just example! Nothing about if it is true or not) but it can mean rich reports with graphs and other functionality.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • PureHeartPureHeart Member Posts: 190
    kine wrote:
    One basic thing: take NAV 2009 as a new product based on older versions of NAV. You can compare only the background, not the product as a whole. As a user of older versions, you are in disadvantage, because each time you will compare the products. There are "missing" some functions, but there is much more added. All can be solved in another way than you are used to, but it doesn't mean that it is good or bad. It is just different ;-). Most problems with the new versions are based on "old way of thinking" about it. We are used to something, and now it's changing. We can think in same way, but it means we will extinct, or we can adapt and live much better and rich live 8) Yes, sometime the evolution means end of one thing, but in same moment it means begin of something new.

E.g. it can mean no code behind sections (it is just example! Nothing about if it is true or not) but it can mean rich reports with graphs and other functionality.

I absolutely agree with you Kine!
    I personally think that NAV 2009 is one of the best thing that could have happened to Navision....
    Boywonder.....things are always changing and usually is always for the better, if you can't do something "old" in the new version it doesn't mean that you can't achieve the same result but with a different approach to the problem....
    It is also not highly recommended to put a lot of code in the sections of a report...you don't really need it....
    Can't you see the advantage of 3 tier system????
    Web Services?
    SQL Reporting?
    Well I Hope you will change your mind when you'll try to use it and understand how much more can give us and the clients!
    Why don't you try my compare tool?
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1123
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Well I Hope you will change your mind when you'll try to use it and understand how much more can give us and the clients!

I hope that it was for boywonder... :mrgreen:
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • PureHeartPureHeart Member Posts: 190
    kine wrote:

I hope that it was for boywonder... :mrgreen:

Of Course it was! :mrgreen::lol:
    Why don't you try my compare tool?
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1123