Modifying Value Entries

djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
Is it possible to modify Value Entries through a report if I only have the various designers available and not the Application Developer or Solution Developer license? Specifically I'm trying to modify Global Dimension values in the value entries.

Thanks!
"OMG ALL MY DATA IS GONE"
"Show All..."
"Oh..."

Comments

• djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
    :( It is possible with the Solution Developer license though, isn't it?
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    I believe only solution center license will be able to modify ledger entries. I maybe wrong..
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    In the download section ther is a tool like "Dimension Corrector" or like so
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
    Need at least application designer to use that tool... can't create the new tables. Now... in theory I could try to use the code somewhere else, like in a report, but that sounds stupid and it may not even work.

What about a report that filters on all value entries which have a blank Global Dimension 2 Code and creates a reversing entry in the Item Journal for each line? Follow that up with the same report only this one would create an Item Journal entry with the original amount but the correct Dimension code as dictated by the default dimension attached to the item (since those are correct now)? That's the only practical way I can think of to take care of this given my level of access.
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Alex Chow wrote:
    I believe only solution center license will be able to modify ledger entries. I maybe wrong..

That is incorrect.

In fact THE ONLY thing you get from the solution developer is exactly that, the ability to write to protected tables.

NAV developer license - Dynamics
    David Singleton
    djswim wrote:
    Is it possible to modify Value Entries through a report if I only have the various designers available and not the Application Developer or Solution Developer license? Specifically I'm trying to modify Global Dimension values in the value entries.

Thanks!

Actually Rashed and Daniel explain to someone in a thread last week how to do this without having to write the the Value Ledger entry table. Try searching for that thread it will guide you how to do it.
    David Singleton
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    djswim wrote:

Thanks!

Actually Rashed and Daniel explain to someone in a thread last week how to do this without having to write the the Value Ledger entry table. Try searching for that thread it will guide you how to do it.

He won't have to do much searching - It's his tread !!!

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=28434
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    In fact THE ONLY thing you get from the solution developer is exactly that, the ability to write to protected tables.

This is incorrect.

Application Builder - You use this granule to change the business rules and special calculations that work behind the scenes. These business rules and special calculations are defined in a language we call C/AL (C/SIDE Application Language). While Application Builder includes access to C/AL, it does not allow access to existing C/AL code that updates write-protected tables (postings for instance). Application Builder lets you create entirely new areas of functionality for your application, enabling you to tailor Microsoft Dynamics NAV to fit your entire organization. This tool also enables you to create 100 Codeunit objects (numbered from 50,000 to 50,099). The Application Builder granule enables you to take advantage of the functionality included for developers in the Navigation Pane Designer. This means, for example, that you can create new menu items.

Solution Developer - You use this granule for the same purposes as the Application Builder granule, but it also gives you access to code that updates write-protected tables. This granule gives you the access necessary to change or create any object type, and gives you access to the Merge Tool and Upgrade Tool. This granule also enables you to use the menu options Translate/Export and Translate/Import in the Object Designer. These options are not available with the Application Builder granule.

This is direct from the Microsoft Price List explaination sheet. So not only can you modify protected tables, you can also use the merge tool and do your own upgrades.
    Alex Chow wrote:

This is direct from the Microsoft Price List explaination sheet. So not only can you modify protected tables, you can also use the merge tool and do your own upgrades.

Yes that's right, I now remember hearing somewhere that they added this (I think in a thread on mibuso).

This is a logical addition, and gives better justification to the cost. I remember a client once that was really p!$$@d off that they paid all the money for the solution developer, and could not access this, in their case, the NSC that sold the license had wrongly told them that it was permitted with the license.
    David Singleton
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    Just get someone who has a legal access to such a licence to add the permission to your report (or other object), in the Permissions property. That's OK. However, after it's done you can't modify the object with your own licence. (Well you can modify it, just not save it :) )