Navision Financials Server Can Be Crashed Via the Network

NuriaNuria Member Posts: 2
edited 2008-10-24 in Navision Financials
Hi,

I have a big problem with Navision Financials 2.60, it was the server is blocking continuously and I have to reboot two times to make it work.

I found online that is a port 2407 problem but I'm not sure what I have to do.

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Check the eventviewer to see which errors you get and post them here.
    So we can give them a look to what we need to do to solve it.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Nuria wrote:
    Hi,

I have a big problem with Navision Financials 2.60, it was the server is blocking continuously and I have to reboot two times to make it work.

I found online that is a port 2407 problem but I'm not sure what I have to do.

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot

Some companies routinely run port scanning software in house. Maybe checking if users are illegally downloading movies, or maybe chating to friends, or maybe just to make sure that no computers are beieng spoooed into sending spam etc.

Anyway if port scannign software is detected by the Navision server, it simply shuts down. This is to pretect it from malicious abuse (which is basically what the port scannign software does).

I got the feeling that newer versions of Nav (maybe after 4.00 no longer do this, but I am not sure). For sure this was the case on 2.01 and I think still in 2.60. Anyway its the first thing to check.

Second thing is to monitor the network for bad packets. You could have a device that has a bad connection (for example) and is sending packets multiple times over the newtwork. This could also shut down the server.

I had one case where someone had a big color laser printer used to print very compex auto cad diagrams, the printer was connected to the computer via an IP printer port. The connection was bad and everytime they printed it sent thousands of bad packets. To fix it we just plugged the printer direct ot he computer and threw away the IP printer port. It did take almost three weeks to find the problem. And that computer and printer had no connection to Navision what so ever. But would shut down Navision each time they printed.
    David Singleton
  • pmitchellpmitchell Member Posts: 1
    I work in a company running 2.60, and the Nessus vulnerability scanner software will definitely crash the Navision Financials service if you scan a server running it. GFI Languard does not seem to cause a problem at all, though. I regularly run scans with GFI and it never causes problems with my Navision server.