Reserving Unreceived Items

matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
This seems weird to me, but maybe I haven't worked with enough clients to know that it is a semi-common thing.

Scenario: Item A is on a PO that has not been received, thus hasn't hit the item ledger. Every item has unique serial number. The client wants to be able to reserve these items on a sales order.

This is not a special order / drop ship where the orders would be linked. It's just expected inventory that they want to reserve. If it ends up not coming in they'll find the items some other way.

When they click on Line --> Item Tracking Lines they want to see those items as available for reservation. They don't want to just type in the serials manually and ignore the availability warning that appears when the items are not in stock yet.

Has anyone done this before? They seem dead set on "it has to work this way."

Comments

• cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    You said it yourself "reserve". You should use Function - Reserve then you can chose the PO you want to make the reservation to.
    Ah, I was clicking on Line --> Reservation Entries thinking there would be something there that would allow me to make the reservation. I thought reservations would do this, but when I couldn't find it I thought maybe I was crazy.

That leads me to another question. All items have an item tracking code of SNALL since everything has to have a serial number. But the flag for reservation entries lies on the item card (and customer card if it is optional). Since we don't want things to automatically reserve, which is what the online help says Always does, I'm thinking that we should change all items and customers to Optional. Then incorporate these into the templates that can be used when a new customer is created.

Keeps me from writing any modifications that way, at least. Anyone have any other thoughts / comments?
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    matttrax wrote:
    This seems weird to me, but maybe I haven't worked with enough clients to know that it is a semi-common thing.

Scenario: Item A is on a PO that has not been received, thus hasn't hit the item ledger. Every item has unique serial number. The client wants to be able to reserve these items on a sales order.

This is not a special order / drop ship where the orders would be linked. It's just expected inventory that they want to reserve. If it ends up not coming in they'll find the items some other way.

When they click on Line --> Item Tracking Lines they want to see those items as available for reservation. They don't want to just type in the serials manually and ignore the availability warning that appears when the items are not in stock yet.

Has anyone done this before? They seem dead set on "it has to work this way."

What version is this?

There are changes to reservations and to lot numbering in versions, so it does make a difference.

Depending on the version, can't they just forget reservations, and assign the items directly by serial number?
    David Singleton