Changing Data Per Company Back to Yes

matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
The people who worked on our company's database in the past thought it would be a good idea to share master data between our companies. Customers, Vendors, Items, the whole deal. *sigh* They don't want to do that anymore.

The question I couldn't find an answer for was this. What happens when I change the DataPerCompany property back to yes? Navision 3.7 on SQL2000 at the moment.

Does it just copy to new tables like [Company$Customer] and drop the existing table?

I ask instead of just trying because it will take forever to restore our 80GB database and I don't want to accidentally mess up our dev environment.

Thanks

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I'd have to try it to find out, but it should be easy to do. Create a new database on your server, and restore a Cronus backup in it. It should be easy to replicate that situation. I used to know this, but I can't remember if it keeps the data in one company only or if it errors out. Quite a difference eh :mrgreen:
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    It errors out.
    It is not possible to change the property 'DataPerCompany' when there are records in the Singletada table. Follow these guidelines:

* Export all records in the table to a file.
    * Delete all records from the table.
    * Modify the table definition.
    * Import all records from the file.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    Just wanted to add that it doesn't error out if you have only one company.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Thanks Rashed it probably depends on how many companies and whether there is data in them. The safest way is always to go export/import.

Don't forget about subsidiary tables, you'll have to take care of those as well.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ara3n wrote:
    Just wanted to add that it doesn't error out if you have only one company.

Do you know which version this was introduced in? It doesn't work in 4.00SP3 on C/SIDE database, but it DOES work on 5.00SP1 on SQL.

So somewhere in there they changed it.

Anyway, great find, I never would have thought that they would have changed this. =D>
    David Singleton
    I don't know when they allowed this.
    It's all those features that they release but never mention it. My guess it's too detail.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ara3n wrote:
    I don't know when they allowed this.
    It's all those features that they release but never mention it. My guess it's too detail.

I am stuck with how it was, and often just naturally work wround the "known" NAV limitations. For example a month or so back I was writeing some code and needed to indent it. So I selected the text, then hit <CTRL>+ <Right-Arrow> but of course nothign happend, so I then remember "Oh yeah that hasn't worked since the DOS version". Then manually indented the text, and then rememebred that of course they brought it back in 5.00 but use a different key now. #-o

Still its good that a lot of things are getting fixed, and I am sure somewhere it was documented.
    David Singleton
  • boywonderboywonder Member Posts: 179
    they brought it back in 5.00 but use a different key now.

ooooh really.....what's the key :mrgreen: