Why is Translate Import Export Useless

bmccarthybmccarthy Member Posts: 48
Hi all,
am I missing something of is the translate tool in NAV just complete and utter crap. We have developed an NAV addin and are translating it into other European languages. When we export the strings (in English), and translate them to their specified language (including special characters) then after importing NAV is full of incorrect special characters. :x

If I export existing translated strings from a foreign language DB then special characters are wrong in the exported text file.

Am I completely missing something or am I expected to manually change special characters??

I know this must have something to do with codepages. I am trying to do all of this translation on English XP SP2. Any help would be great. ](*,)

Comments

• kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    Have you tried to see the results in the objects on a workstation that has the specific regional settings and codepages as default?
  • imurphyimurphy Member Posts: 308
    Not sure how you are doing the translation but if you are importing a text file it has to be stored in a particular format. Nav doesn't handle unicode.

If you generate a file in Write with text with accents then you will need to save it as MSdos format for Nav to be able to import it correctly.

The lack of unicode support is a major deficiency but non english can be happily supported.

Ian