Upgrade 3.70 to 5 or 2009

RobySpainRobySpain Member Posts: 57
Hi,

I am thinking about upgrade one Nav 3.70 to Nav 5.0. But recently, I've received information about the 2009 version. Then, I have a doubt. I must wait to migrate directly (or step by step 3.70, 4, 5) to 2009 version, or I must update only to the nav 5.0?

New versions, usually have a lot of "bugs", but an update is very expensive.... Then, what about your recomendations?

Thanks and best regards,

Robyn

Comments

• djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
    A couple of thoughts... first of all, if an upgrade to 5.0 is going to be required during your upgrade to 2009, then it won't add that much cost to do it in two steps.

Second, as a consultant I think it would be a lot of fun being one of the first sites to go live on 2009, but as a business owner, not a chance.

If my employer told me they were thinking about it and wanted my opinion, I'd say wait for the first few hotfixes and patches (SPs).... if they told me they had already made their decision, I'd just start reading :)
    "OMG ALL MY DATA IS GONE"
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    djswim wrote:
    A couple of thoughts... first of all, if an upgrade to 5.0 is going to be required during your upgrade to 2009, then it won't add that much cost to do it in two steps.

I would wait till 2009 is released before making any decisions.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    I agree with rashed.

We know they are working on a "simple" upgrade to "6.0", but no-one can guarantee until it has been released.

Until now (I converted my db to NAV2009) it's just a fairly simple object-merge, page creation and report generation job... .

My two cents...

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Two recomendations

1. Upgrade to 5.0 SP1 and SQL2005
    2. Have a close look at all your forms to see if they are Gui Guide compliant

When these 2 are OK, the upgrade to 2009 will be a piece of cake. Like Waldo, I upgraded our SQL Perform database to 2009 with about 100 customised forms and did it in one sunday afternoon with a couple of beers. :mrgreen:

Don't be to exited, it will take weeks to get used to the new client, it really works different from the old one and some jobs take twice as long.
  • RobySpainRobySpain Member Posts: 57
    thanks for your recomendations.

I think..... I'll update to the 5 and after this, we will see..

Thanks

Robyn
  • cunnycunny Member Posts: 129
    I was shocked when I saw GP 9 client after i looked at NAV 2009 client, THEY ARE BLOODY 95% SAME!!! Those web clients for NAV, GP, AX are created on .NET which taks data directly from SQL. One of my American friends who is a very good GP consultant told me that was the idea! If that is true I could make another NAV web client myself, the idea sucks!

Grrrr.......
    cunny Lee
    MCP - MBS Navision
    jle@naviworld.com
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    No that is just not true, they definately do NOT take take directly out of SQL Server. Your American friend is sorely mistaken on that part. The Sharepoint client definately runs some sort of native process to execute business logic, either by way of webservices that are published by the application or by some other form of integration component.

By the way, they ARE not 95% the same, they LOOK 95% the same. Behind the scenes there may be some shared binaries, but all Dynamics apps have their own separate business logic, and a lot of the functionality is completely different.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    DenSter wrote:
    No that is just not true, they definately do NOT take take directly out of SQL Server. Your American friend is sorely mistaken on that part. The Sharepoint client definately runs some sort of native process to execute business logic, either by way of webservices that are published by the application or by some other form of integration component.

By the way, they ARE not 95% the same, they LOOK 95% the same. Behind the scenes there may be some shared binaries, but all Dynamics apps have their own separate business logic, and a lot of the functionality is completely different.

Actually I was very surprised by the rather huge fopa made last year by one of Microsoft's Sales guys at a large NAV event trying to explain what happened to Green. he said that it was comparable to Volkswagen, where they have one common platform that is used for a number of similar cars, Golf, Beetle, Jetta, A4, TT.

But NAV was 180 degrees the opposite in that basically the front end client looks very similar, but underneath the platform is totally different.

I guess that that presentation may have been part of the reason for such confusion.
    David Singleton
    Yes the confusion about project green and where Dynamics is going is in no small measure Microsoft's own mess.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    DenSter wrote:
    Yes the confusion about project green and where Dynamics is going is in no small measure Microsoft's own mess.

Hmm come to think of it I think we were sitting next to each other in that session :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
    Yes I think you are right, and I remember we had this conversation back then as well :mrgreen: