Difference between F5 & List

idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
What's the difference between pressing F5 & the List button?
It seems that some functions are not executed with F5...
NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    F5 will run what is defined on the Menu button for shortcut F5. In most cases it is just running Lookup form, sometime it can do something different. Clicking to the List button in the tool box, it just try to open Lookup form...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Thanks.
    Any known instances, in standard Navision, of why the behavior of the List differs from F5?

I have always linked F5 to be the same as clicking on the List button, but it seems I need to revise some things...
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

• WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Why would you revise? Where do you base yourself upon?

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    edited 2008-09-15
    when you click the list button on the NAV toolbar, it opens the table that is the source table of the current form, using the form that is set up as the LookupFormID of that table. Standard NAV conventions say that this form should be a non-editable list form, without any filters hardcoded on the form.

F5 is supposed to behave the same way. The thing about this is though, that F5 is not enforced by NAV, it is put on forms by a developer. The standard behavior is to have a button on the form that has the same name as the table, with the first selection called 'List', with a shortcut key of F5, and Action 'LookupTable' and no extra filters. By not providing the form number, NAV will use the form that is set up as the LookupFormID in the table design. When you open the list form, the table already has filters from the form you are on, and the list will inherit those automatically. This will make it so that F5 will do the same thing as the list button.

As far as I know, F5 behaves the same way everywhere in core NAV. It's in customizations where you see many creative solutions.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I'm guessing this thread is related.

http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
    DenSter wrote:
    The standard behavior is to have a button on the form that has the same name as the table, with the first selection called 'List', with a shortcut key of F5, and Action 'LookupTable' and no extra filters.

In general, it's considered a minor sin to develop and make keys do things differently from what they do everywhere else in the system... one of the best things about NAV is being able to have consistent navigation throughout the system...
    "OMG ALL MY DATA IS GONE"
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    idiot wrote:
    Thanks.
    Any known instances, in standard Navision, of why the behavior of the List differs from F5?

Orders, Invoice & credits when in the Sell-to customer field
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
    Waldo wrote:
    Why would you revise? Where do you base yourself upon?

It was always assumed (or was it only me?) that the F5 & List are behaving exactly the same way.
    Training notes, lessons, even customizations, etc need to be revised & revisited to incorporate this new information that I just acquired..., specifically related to
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

DenSter wrote:
    when you click the list button on the NAV toolbar, it opens the table that is the source table of the current form, using the form that is set up as the LookupFormID of that table. Standard NAV conventions say that this form should be a non-editable list form, without any filters hardcoded on the form.

F5 is supposed to behave the same way. The thing about this is though, that F5 is not enforced by NAV, it is put on forms by a developer. The standard behavior is to have a button on the form that has the same name as the table, with the first selection called 'List', with a shortcut key of F5, and Action 'LookupTable' and no extra filters. By not providing the form number, NAV will use the form that is set up as the LookupFormID in the table design. When you open the list form, the table already has filters from the form you are on, and the list will inherit those automatically. This will make it so that F5 will do the same thing as the list button.

As far as I know, F5 behaves the same way everywhere in core NAV. It's in customizations where you see many creative solutions.

You may want to refer to this for an example...
    Maybe I should rephrase...The function I'm referring to is the List function on Cards which will open up the List (commonly paired to shortcut key F5).
    The understanding that I inherited was clicking on the List & selecting the Function List will achieve the same results too, but apparently not so in the Warehouse module...
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    idiot wrote:
    Maybe I should rephrase...The function I'm referring to is the List function on Cards which will open up the List (commonly paired to shortcut key F5).
    No need for rephrasing, I was talking about the same thing. You asked for what it is supposed to be, and I explained. At that time I didn't even know that you had posted the other question.
    idiot wrote:
    The understanding that I inherited was clicking on the List & selecting the Function List will achieve the same results too, but apparently not so in the Warehouse module...
    You are right on both counts. You understand what the standard is supposed to do, and apparently, you found an exception to that standard (which I have not verified that it actually does not do what other standard F5 shortcuts do). Very annoying, I agree, especially considering it is counter intuitive for a "standard" shortcut.