Where used: Item."No."

tompynationtompynation Member Posts: 398
Hi, for one of our customers i have to change the "No." of the item to length 35 instead of standard 20.

Could anyone who has the devtoolkit installed, give me a list of reports, forms & tables where this field is used?

I already used the BigPictureOfNavV2 to extract all Item table relations.
But i need the forms and reports as well

This will make my work a little easier... Thanks alot

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    edited 2008-09-12
    there are many topics about this theme in the forum.

Ever we ask, why the users will change the leght, and not use the "No. 2" field.

Note, that you also must change all fields, variables, prameters in functions, controls, etc. ..... and don't forgett the costs when you update the customer db to a new version, like 5.xx or 6.
    But by the way, the customer is the king and when he want it and he bill it he get it .. but before, talk with them, and say him what this is for an "overhead".

Do you not have access to PartnerSource to download self the DevTool:?:
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    wow I hate to be the order entry person who has to enter 35 digits for every item.

Personally I don't like the idea of using descriptive item numbers - that's what the description is for.

I've read that simply changing the description length is a project - but the "item no" is everywhere. Sounds like a monster project. And as above, you'll have to do it again for each upgrade.

I would sit and talk with them explaining the future ramifications of such a modification.

Is there a reason they can't use another or new field to hold such a long code?

http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23170
  • djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
    Hi, for one of our customers i have to change the "No." of the item to length 35 instead of standard 20.

There have been multiple discussions on this... it is highly recommended that you not do it. The only time this should ever happen is if the customer has been informed of the implications (repeatedly) and I would go so far as to have them sign something stating:

1. They understand that it will take up to 75 hours of development
    2. That 75 does NOT include the inevitable occasional overflow errors that this will end up generating and the time involved to fix them (basically you can't catch everything without doubling the estimate... it's easier to let the errors guide you once you're 95% done)
    3. That this development (and accompanying errors) will have to be re-done every time they upgrade... forever
    4. That they understand that alternatives have been discussed which would provide the same functional solution

You'd be surprised how fast the majority of people will balk at this. I have never in my career (100+ implementations) seen an instance where this was an absolute business need. It's not a good use of your time or their budget, therefore, it should get axed.

Great way to see how everything is connected in the database though :) [/b]
    "OMG ALL MY DATA IS GONE"
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • tompynationtompynation Member Posts: 398
    OK, i guess i need another solution then instead of changing the Item No. his length.

What about this, would this be a good solution then:

I leave the Item No. to its normal Lenght.
    I create a new Field in the Item Table, nl. "Item Code". of length 35

I make the Item No. autoincrement. So it will just be an integer.

Now on every form where you can insert the Item No. for example the sales order. I remove the "No." field from the sales order subform.
    And change it by my new Field "Item Code".

When someone fills in the "Item Code" i just fill up de corresponding "Item No." trhough the validate method of the "Item Code"

And then the system can keep up going working like it normally does...

Good idea or not?

I know that this means adaption of all forms where you can insert the "Item No.", but i guess this will be verry less work then the 75 hours for changing the "Item No" its lenght
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    One thing I would find out is where exactly do they need this number to appear? Invoices? Reports? etc?