Business Notifications on version 5.0 or 5.0 sp1

andy76andy76 Member Posts: 616
Hello,

I'm trying to install/examine this package.
Viewing the documentation on CD of ver. 5.0 sp1 it opens a "Business Notification Installation Guide" of version 4.0. Is that correct? Aren't there new versions of BN?

Thank you

Comments

• andy76andy76 Member Posts: 616
    SqlXml 3.0 Service Pack 3 (SP3) indicated in this manual works also with MS SQL Server 2005?
    Going on in the installation following the manual, when I launch setup.exe of Business Notification Server, I have this error message "MS SQL Notification Services" is not installed on your local machine, Please install it before continuing this installation.
    Where can I find this for SQL 2005?

Thank you.
  • dougmilesdougmiles Member Posts: 4
    andy76 wrote:
    I have this error message "MS SQL Notification Services" is not installed on your local machine, Please install it before continuing this installation.
    Where can I find this for SQL 2005?
    The "Notification Services" feature is only available on Standard and Enterprise versions of SQL 2005.

During the SQL 2005 install, there is one panel that offers you a list of services to be installed. The possible services are: SQL Server Database Services, Analysis Services, Reporting Services, Notification Services, Integration Services and Workstation Components.
    My problem is that MSSQL 2005 Enterprise Edition is already on the server and I only want to add Notification Service.
    Changing the installation by Control Panel -> Install/Remove Program I tried all options but there is no possibility.
    I ask you if it is possible add it only leaving for a new installation or if it is possible to launch a setup by the CD and how.
    Thank you very much
  • dougmilesdougmiles Member Posts: 4
    andy76 wrote:
    Changing the installation by Control Panel -> Install/Remove Program I tried all options but there is no possibility.
    Correct. You could uninstall it there if you had already installed it. This is also where you would uninstall an instance of SQL.
    andy76 wrote:
    I only want to add Notification Service.
    Go ahead and do the install from the installation CD. The installer only offers to add services - it leaves the uninstall to Control Panel -> Install/Remove Program.

On the screen where you select the components to install, pick only the items that you want to install during this installation session. The first option is "SQL Server Database Services" - that is how you would add an instance of SQL Server. For what you want to do, leave this unchecked.

Further down the list is "Notification Services" ... check this one. On the next screen it will list a number of products to be installed based on your selection. For me, it listed MSXML6, SQLXML4, SQL Setup Support files, SQL Native Client, OWC11, SQL Server Backward-compatibility files, and "Notification Services."

I tested this uninstall + reinstall on a development server that had low volume (a couple of migration projects) and had no user complaints.