Connect to NAV using WAN or Internet

rustrust Member Posts: 27
Hi,

I would like to check with you guys is it possible for user to access NAV where he/she is outside of the LAN Network using Internet connection or WAN ?

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    it's possible (Firewall setting, Router Settings, Proxy settings if needed, etc.) but a direct connection could be very slow. For connections trough WAN use TS like MS TerminalService or Citrix. Its better
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • rustrust Member Posts: 27
    Other then using TS is it possible to connect to NAV using NAV Client ?
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    You can use employee portal, but it has limited functionality.

You run it on sharepoint connected through NAS. You basically use browser (Internet explorer).
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • laurentiu_iroftelaurentiu_irofte Member Posts: 22
    You can create a VPN through Internet and only problem is your bandwidth... if you have some kind of broadband it work, not very well... but it work.
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    You can create a VPN through Internet and only problem is your bandwidth... if you have some kind of broadband it work, not very well... but it work.
    I use an ordinary DSL connection (DL 2k / UL 256) and it works very well. I former used DSL 768/96 and it wasn't that bad.

So, I think VPN solution is your way, rust.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    To all of you saying that connecting to NAV across a WAN, this is very irresponsible advise.

Even for things like support or "just to look up an order" this is NOT a satisfactory solution.

Yes you may be able to connect in, but if you start to actually do anything in the system (insert any record) then you are now locking the database for long periods of time. So not only is your session slow, but you are killing th other users.

if you need remote access, look at TS or Citrix.
    David Singleton
    Sorry, but I can't agree with it. We have up to 40 concurrent users and some of them are always connected via WAN. We never had any problems with locks or something else. Maybe it depends on your network topology or client version or business solution or the number of users or ... I don't know. But in general it is no problem. (The number of users could be a problem even if you aren't connected via WAN.)

Of course, TS or Citrix do have more features and are easy to handle. And if you are looking for a possibility to support a user from afar, I would advise TS or Citrix too. But that's not the question of this topic.
    Sorry, but I can't agree with it. We have up to 40 concurrent users and some of them are always connected via WAN. We never had any problems with locks or something else. Maybe it depends on your network topology or client version or business solution or the number of users or ... I don't know. But in general it is no problem. (The number of users could be a problem even if you aren't connected via WAN.)

Of course, TS or Citrix do have more features and are easy to handle. And if you are looking for a possibility to support a user from afar, I would advise TS or Citrix too. But that's not the question of this topic.

What bandwidth do you have, and what is your latency.

Are you really talking about a WAN? Maybe you actually have something like a Frame relay, a leased line or a dedicated pipe?
    David Singleton
    Hmm just realized that you said 2m DSL,

so you are saying you run 40 users over a 2M DSL.

Can I just retract my earlier statements, and say that you have found a way to become a multi millionaire over night.

believe me if you can show me how to run 40 NAV users over a 2 Meg DSL, you will be buying your first yacht in a couple of months.
    David Singleton
    No, I never said all users are working over one connection. I said some of them are connected via WAN. But as you said that should also be a problem.
    I don't have any leased line or something else. Maybe you are the one who will give me the first million :?: :wink::D
    But I think we are talking about different things.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Please explain exactly how you are connecting to the NAV database over this WAN. Are you actually running NAV clients on people's local machines connecting straight into the database server?
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    I'm very interested in this as well.
    Please define how your WAN is setup...
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
    Yes, my client is running on my local machine and it's connected straight into the database server.
    I'm not a network technician. I don't know how it is exactly solved. I use this since 2005 or 2006. That's why I think we are talking about different things. I think it's very unlikely that all of you NAV experts never heard of this possibility.

Edit:
    It's a SQL Server Option database. Maybe that's the point?!
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Your NAV client must be running as some sort of a published application, or you have a dedicated high speed line into the WAN. That or the internet infrastructure in your geographical area is super. Telling people to run NAV over a WAN is in general bad advice, especially in areas where the infrastructure is not very good.

The best way to access NAV remotely is by using TS or Citrix, or a similar solution.