Item Dimensions in consumption jounal

abnainasabnainas Member Posts: 174
Dear All,
When we me make a Consumption journal with entry type “TRANSFER” something wrong happened.

The system asks for a dimension which is already entered. After debugging the code, the system give the error in this code,
in CodeUnit 21 Item Jnl.-Check Line
IF (ItemJnlLine."Entry Type" = ItemJnlLine."Entry Type"::Transfer) AND
       (ItemJnlLine."Value Entry Type" <> ItemJnlLine."Value Entry Type"::Revaluation)
    THEN
      IF NOT DimMgt.CheckJnlLineNewDimValuePosting(JnlLineDim,TableID,No) THEN
        IF "Line No." <> 0 THEN
          ERROR(
            Text010,
            TABLECAPTION,"Journal Template Name","Journal Batch Name","Line No.",
            DimMgt.GetDimValuePostingErr)
        ELSE
          ERROR(DimMgt.GetDimValuePostingErr);
  END;
END;
Note that:
•this case was tested in CRONUS in both dynamics NAV versions (NAV 5.0 & NAV 5.1)
•this error only appears with entry type “TRANSFER”.

Please advice.
Best Regards
Ahmad Bani Naser
Dynamics NAV Developer

Comments

• abnainasabnainas Member Posts: 174
    Dear All,

If I disable this Code,
        IF ItemJnlLine."Entry Type" = ItemJnlLine."Entry Type"::Transfer THEN
          IF NOT DimMgt.CheckJnlLineNewDimValuePosting(JnlLineDim,TableID,No) THEN ---> DISABLE THIS SO NOT NEED TO CHECK DIMENSIONS.
            IF "Line No." <> 0 THEN
              ERROR(
                Text010,
                TABLECAPTION,"Journal Template Name","Journal Batch Name","Line No.",
                DimMgt.GetDimValuePostingErr)
            ELSE

there will be any consequences.

Please Advice
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer
  • cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    Consumption journal is not intended for transfer it is used to consume material on a production order.
    Transfer should be done in transfer order or in item reclass journal.
    This unfortunate to hear because the system doesn't tell me that you can't use the consumption journal for transfers however if I don't have the item group dimensioin it would work just fine so honestly I believe that this is a bug in the system because how come the system asks me for entering the same dimension which is already entered for the line? It is not a matter of standard thing in the system it is a matter of unpredicted behaviour by the system.

Please Advice
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    abnainas wrote:
    This unfortunate to hear because the system doesn't tell me that you can't use the consumption journal for transfers however if I don't have the item group dimensioin it would work just fine so honestly I believe that this is a bug in the system because how come the system asks me for entering the same dimension which is already entered for the line? It is not a matter of standard thing in the system it is a matter of unpredicted behaviour by the system.

Please Advice

Its not the system fault rather it is human fault who is using the wrong option. The name of the form itself tell the purpose..... What else you want system to tell.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    So what are you trying to achieve?

The consumption journal reduces stock related to a production order - what are you trying to transfer the stock for? I presume you are modifying this as the entry type defaulted to consumption because of the common use of journals is not a standard field visible.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • Dr_mjhDr_mjh Member Posts: 203
    Hi everyone,

Actually what you are trying here to do is a business logic; in some factries warehouse issues the items into the shopfloor where then to be consumed by production into production lines. Thus it is quite logic to do the issuing of materials to the shopfloor as transfer.
    However, there is a delicate balance between standard and non standard uses of fields in NAV database; as for some fields inspite the fact that they are hidden i.e.: found in database but not shown in the form (you have to use the ctrl F2 to show them) but they have a standard use in the system for e.g.: Reserved Quantity field which you can add it on the item card. there are much much more examples for such standard use of a field hidden in the database and alot of problems the solution lies in a field hidden in the database but in your case it looks like they have intended the consumtion journal to have a fully functional transfer functionality when you use dimensions because if you don't use the dimensions it will work. Therefore yes it is hidden in the database and it is not meant to be used with dimensions only otherwise you can use for transfer with no problem. Now if you just ignore the above facts I think a technical consultant can help you more than I can do.

Thank you for your cooperation.
    Best Regards