User Role Setup

deepaknavdeepaknav Member Posts: 18
Hi All,
One of our customer wants following features in user roles :
1) Restriction to Items according to the role.
2) Restriction to Customers according to the role.
3) Restriction to vendors according to the role.
we tried doing this using security filters but its not solving our problem. Because it needs too much of coding which is not at all practical. how can we apply these restrictions in Navision? we are implementing on Navision 4.0 SP3. is it possible in navision? can anyone help us?

Regrads,
Deepak K B.

Comments

• AsallaiAsallai Member Posts: 141
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    deepaknav wrote:
    Hi All,
    One of our customer wants following features in user roles :
    1) Restriction to Items according to the role.
    2) Restriction to Customers according to the role.
    3) Restriction to vendors according to the role.
    we tried doing this using security filters but its not solving our problem. Because it needs too much of coding which is not at all practical. how can we apply these restrictions in Navision? we are implementing on Navision 4.0 SP3. is it possible in navision? can anyone help us?

Regrads,
    Deepak K B.

There is no way to do this the way you want to. You really have three options.

1/ Use record level filters in SQL. I think this will be just too much work to maintain in your case.

2/ Look at a security add in like Record Level security from Lanham.

3/ Custom code.

If its just Master data cards, then custom code makes sense. But I would guess that you are only telling us half the story and the re is more. For example does the client require that the restriction to specific customers then applies to orders and invoices for that customer?
    David Singleton
  • deepaknavdeepaknav Member Posts: 18
    To David,
    Yes, you are right. Our customer wants the restrictions to the masters to apply to Orders and Invoices too. what can we do if this is the case? is ithis practical to do so.

To Asallai,
    Yea i tried the solution. I think again the solution is not practical as we have to do each n every operation including lookups, creating, modifying, deleting operations for roles to have correct permissions.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Check the responsibility centre setup. This will give a default filter on the masters, order & invoices.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Navision is not strong in user access, master list levels & in your case you have a bumpy road ahead where maintenance is a nightmare.
    If Navision is really so favored, consider separate companies for each group of requirements, although it means a possible nightmare for reconciliation...
    I've seen a few cases of Navision that became "proprietary" due to the nature of such customizations...
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
    edited 2008-09-08

Did you consider my option 2?

http://www.lanhamassoc.com/historymgmt.htm
    David Singleton

www.lanhamassoc.com

Somewhat difficult to tell client when the sales people has committed and product being sold. Sometimes best is not the best option.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    ssingla wrote:

www.lanhamassoc.com

Somewhat difficult to tell client when the sales people has committed and product being sold. Sometimes best is not the best option.

Best advice is ithat if you work in a company liek that with dishonest sales people like that; go out a look for a better company to work for. Expectation management is key to a successfull implementation and honest is key to managing expectations.
    David Singleton
    One of the reason why I started my own company and became a MS channel partner.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    ssingla wrote:

www.lanhamassoc.com

Best advice is ithat if you work in a company liek that with dishonest sales people like that; go out a look for a better company to work for. Expectation management is key to a successfull implementation and honest is key to managing expectations.

Well said.. Your great Experience is a guide to us =D>
    CA Sandeep Singla
    ssingla wrote:
    Expectation management is key to a successfull implementation and honest is key to managing expectations.

Well said.. Your great Experience is a guide to us =D>

David Singleton
  • djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
    ssingla wrote:

There are probably other things going on with this, but when it comes to client needs, little to no consideration should be given to the salespeople. The salespeople are there to sell, you're there to provide honest advice. Sometimes these two things can be done at the same time, but unfortunately the reward system for sales insures that a large percentage of them will end up being uninformed, dishonest, or both.

You don't need to throw them under the bus, per se, but saying something like "I just read about this add-on that would save you a lot of customizations..." is never a bad thing, and ultimately it sounds like they're going to be paying a lot of money for this either way, so it's not a bad thing to look out for them and suggest the solution with the best value.
    "OMG ALL MY DATA IS GONE"
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651

Boss you have any openings in your company?
    Sometimes it's not dishonest sales, but the management..., let's just put it that the world is not fair, so certain things are best left at "ignorance is bliss"...
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • deepaknavdeepaknav Member Posts: 18
    To David,
    I forgot to ask u about the option2 in my last post. i just went thru the pdf file. It sounds good and what we need. I'll talk to my seniors regarding this.

To Sandeep,
    we tried responsible centers too. but transfer orders does not work with responsibility centers. Also we want restriction to item master which is not covered using Responsibility Centers.

To All,
    Currently we are trying to work a solution using security filters. In Application designer's guide some tips about implementing 'security filters' are given. Even though its a bit 'more work', but seems to work the way we want.

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions.

Regards,
    Deepak K B.
    Just to throw the cat amoungst the pigeons out there...

Record level security used to be part of standard Navision. It was introduced as a special type of filter. (Think of something like singleinstance codeunit). There was a command SetGlobalFilter.

Once you applied set globalfilter to a field in a record it stayed there on every instance of that record.

The general scenario is that in CodeUnit 1 you would would set filters on all the tables you needed to filter for that user.

The only reason we ever got for them removing this function was that many developers were using it incorrectly and it was causing performance issues.

The feature by the way was introduced in 1993, so it was quite some time ago.

We need SetGlobalFilters back. ](*,)
    David Singleton