Navision Licence

southindiansouthindian Member Posts: 247
Dear All,

My customer has bought a License (Customer License)after their existing License got expired....Even when they had uploading that in SQL Server (Navision), User are getting a message ..... You dont have Permission to Access this form or dataport etc..... I dont get wats the problem..... Kindly Help me in this issue........ :|

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    edited 2008-09-06
    There existing License got expired ???

Only developer license (Navision Partner) expired, customer license doesn't expired (or is this so in India?).
    So, your customer has used a Partner License :!: Somebody was so stupid and give this license to the end user. Or he has stored it on the customer server and the customer has found it. :evil: Don't to this :!: Check your license contracts with MS. In my mind, there are sentence with the words: "It's not allowed to give the PartnerLicense to a Customer" ......

Now, if he will use a new License and the Dataport XYZ brings the Lic Permissions error, then these Object (and some others) are not in the new license. Now you have "fun" with your customer .......

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    oh boy....

So for some period of time they were using a developer license, and now with their end user license they are getting permission errors... That propably means that they have been using functionality that they never intended to purchase, or entering data into tables that they thought would be in the granules they purchased, or they were told it would be included and it didn't turn out to be... It is similar to opening a Cronus database with an end user license. Data has been entered into tables that are not included in the end user license, and now the system wants to access that data but does not have permission to do it, and you get that error message.

I'm assuming this is all honest mistakes, but it is quite common. The NAV partner allow the customer to use their developer license on the test/development server during the implementation, due to delays in the license ordering process, or to allow developer access to the database. Then come go-live time they discover that the end user license is not sufficient and continue to allow the developer license.

You'll have to figure out where unintended functionality was used, and remove data with a developer license. Where the customer wants to keep certain bits of functionality, they will have to purchase the granules and have those added to their license.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    DenSter wrote:
    You'll have to figure out where unintended functionality was used, and remove data with a developer license. Where the customer wants to keep certain bits of functionality, they will have to purchase the granules and have those added to their license.

This is the painful part... :(
  • djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
    DenSter wrote:
    The NAV partner allow the customer to use their developer license on the test/development server during the implementation,

In my experience, this almost never happens. Most common I've seen is that a junior developer or consultant forgets to wipe the partner license after they've been on site or done a remote session to fix something.

This is why it's important not to do that... not just for you, but for your customer/client
    "OMG ALL MY DATA IS GONE"
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    edited 2008-09-05
    Hey you don't have to tell me, in my day you got fired for not being careful with your license, so I'm making sure it doesn't happen with the license that I work with.

It happens more than you think though, I've seen it a number of times that end users work with a dev license. It's not so much that NAV partners explicitly allow customers to use their license, they don't go "here's a CD with our license, go have fun with it", but they are allowing it to happen by not being careful enough, like 'forgetting' that they put it on a network drive for easy access, and the customer 'discovers it there'.
  • djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
    It wasn't meant for anyone directly... it's just something that everyone has done before... :)
    "OMG ALL MY DATA IS GONE"
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    djswim wrote:
    DenSter wrote:
    The NAV partner allow the customer to use their developer license on the test/development server during the implementation,

In my experience, this almost never happens.

Unfortunately I see this far too often. I am not sure of your back ground, but if you work for one partner, and your partner does things correctly, then why would you ever see it. Unfortunately my job involved disaster recovery, and all too often the consultant on site just sees using the partner license as a quick fix. Probably with every intention of fixing the issue eventually.

I will say though that the majority of cases are the consultant accidently uploading their license to the live server or some similar mix-up. More so than specifically using their license to get around a customer license limitation.
    David Singleton