Upgrading from Navision 3.01 to NAV 5

amphysvenaamphysvena Member Posts: 113
Hi,
My client currently using navision 3.01 and now they want to upgrade it to Navision 5. They want the customization made in 3.01 can be used also in NAV 5.
Is there any upgrade toolkit to upgrade 3.01 to 5? Because I only got the toolkit to upgrade NAV 3.x to 4 and NAV 4 to 5.
They also want to keep the old data. So I think, thats mean I have to make the dataport to import the data to NAV 5 database. Right?

Is it possible to do this upgrade? What is the best way to do this upgrade? Upgrade it to NAV 4 first then upgrade it to NAV 5?

I don't have any experience in upgrading NAV before. Any advice will be greatly appreciate. thanks

Comments

• anuragatishanuragatish Member Posts: 48
    hi,

Yes. You are right that you can't migrate directly from 3.1 to 5.0.
    You have to migrate to 4.0 first and then from 4.0 to 5.0

and for the data thing, you don't worry about porting it through dataports.
    As that will be tedious on the first hand and it will give errors if the filed type is changed in new version.
    Let "Navision Conversion Toolkit" do it for you.
    It will convert the data for the new version.
    But you have to use the correct version of toolkit for the gradual upgrade.
    Anurag atish
    Navision Technical Consultant
    Bangalore
    anurag.atish@yahoo.com
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    amphysvena wrote:
    Hi,
    My client currently using navision 3.01 and now they want to upgrade it to Navision 5. They want the customization made in 3.01 can be used also in NAV 5.
    Is there any upgrade toolkit to upgrade 3.01 to 5? Because I only got the toolkit to upgrade NAV 3.x to 4 and NAV 4 to 5.
    They also want to keep the old data. So I think, thats mean I have to make the dataport to import the data to NAV 5 database. Right?

Is it possible to do this upgrade? What is the best way to do this upgrade? Upgrade it to NAV 4 first then upgrade it to NAV 5?

I don't have any experience in upgrading NAV before. Any advice will be greatly appreciate. thanks

Don't invent your own upgrade method. Follow the upgrade toolkit released by Microsoft step by step to ensure success!
  • amphysvenaamphysvena Member Posts: 113
    Ok, thanks.
    I'll follow the steps in the toolkit.
    Btw, how many days, required for doing this upgrade? Just for estimation.
    Thanks alot for the replies
  • sharransharran Member Posts: 14
    Hi

It will take around 7 - 10 days time
    both for migrating from 3 .01 to 4 then 4 to 5

1) for 3.01 to 4 take the tables alone and merge it and rectify the errors then Export those tables to the new 4 database, then do the compilation errors just import the objects that asks for while compiling
    2) then follow upgrade toolkit guide to migrate the data to 4

3) then merge 3.01 to 5 all objects then take the these objects.
    4) use the 4 database and convert it into 5 then do the procedure as said in the Upgrade toolkit guide

thats it takes around 5 -6 days for me bcz i have done about 50 - 60 projects in it.
    :D
    :)
    with warm regards

sharran
    --Navision Developer --
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    amphysvena wrote:
    Ok, thanks.
    I'll follow the steps in the toolkit.
    Btw, how many days, required for doing this upgrade? Just for estimation.
    Thanks alot for the replies

You can try contacting an upgrade center.

A typical upgrade can range between 4 hours to 4 weeks depending on:
    1. Database Size
    2. Level of customization
    3. Training
    etc.

(Hmm... I'm sure I wrote this somewhere on this forum.. :-k )