Locktable and commit

IBSIBS Member Posts: 29
Hello

Just to confirm

When I issue a locktable and then a commit,

Does the commit releases the lock on the table? If not when does it release the lock?

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, commit will release the locks. But, please, think about it before you use the commit in your code. It can make bigger problems than solve....
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    a commit fired up an Transaction end to the SQL Server. so, the locks into the transaction are released. But like kine sayed. You must know when you set the commit.

Better, for the lock problem, check why there are locks. Is there are "stupid" keys like under "dimensions", there are many SIFTs to create / delete / update, there are many recs to update / delete / create, is the C/AL Code not good enought for a better perfomance, etc :?:

so, you see, many question, for one little post ;-)

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • IBSIBS Member Posts: 29
    Well the code is not mine and I'm trying to solve locktable issue.

The code is like this. The table has "entry no." as PK

Table.Locktable.
    if table.findlast then;
    LastEntryNo := table."Entry No." + 1;

table.reset;
    table."Entry No." := LastEntryNo;
    table."Populate other fields"

table.insert;
    commit;
    form.runmodal(0,table);

What is a good way to solve the locktable issue.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    This is not "locktable" issue, it is FORM.RUNMODAL issue... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    IBS wrote:
    Well the code is not mine and I'm trying to solve locktable issue.

The code is like this. The table has "entry no." as PK

Table.Locktable.
    if table.findlast then;
    LastEntryNo := table."Entry No." + 1;

table.reset;
    table."Entry No." := LastEntryNo;
    table."Populate other fields"

table.insert;
    commit;
    form.runmodal(0,table);

What is a good way to solve the locktable issue.

back to the start... What are you trying to archive. It looks like you are trying to get user interaction during a transaction. Much like that absolutely awful bit of code that checks the credit status of a client when entering a sales order.

You need to rethink the business logic and redesign it.

Not all business requirement can be solved by code unfortunately. And its even worse when you have existing code you need to work with. :wink:
    David Singleton
  • IBSIBS Member Posts: 29
    This is not during any transaction (posting). The data gets prepopulated before the form is opened. Thats all it is.
    The user then populates additional data and closes the form.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Anyway, it is a transaction (Data Create) ;-) And you can't run a form / report in Runmodal mode during a transaction, so u use the commit to end the transaction.

So, but where is there the problem with the commit? OK, its not very nice, but the first transaction is to insert the recs. Is this finish, end the Transaction (commit). After the commit is a form runmodal. These runmodal doesn't block other users (if there is no locking code in the form), it's the same thing when he fill the table behind Button1 and call the form from Button 2. Both are sep. transactions. It's the same thing when he run first the form and insert from there the Recs with using a function on Form, like, Function -> "Insert Recs from Anywhere"

Do you have seen where the blocks occur :?: And which table is locked? the table where u insert or a other table?

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    IBS wrote:
    This is not during any transaction (posting). The data gets prepopulated before the form is opened. Thats all it is.
    The user then populates additional data and closes the form.

Then I think you need to be a bit clearer in what you are doing. As Garak has said, if this is not in the middle of a transaction, then no locking should be occuring. It could be that you are on a "bad" version, so let us know which NAV version you are on , service paks updates and hot fixes.

ALso take a look at Waldo's Blog, to see where you need to be:

Platform updates overview
    David Singleton