Voiding an (*#&@$ check

djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
This is stupid, I can't believe I'm having so much trouble with this, but here it is:

I can't void a check. I'm getting the message that "Statement Status must be open in check ledger entry entry no. XXX"

I've tried just voiding, I've tried issuing a credit memo for the invoice and voiding, nothing is working. I've done this a thousand times before and I always forget this crap. I've been at work for like 12 hours now, so no, I didn't search, please just help or link to what I missed because I'm going to shut my computer down and chomp on my nicotine gum all the way home. You all rock!
"OMG ALL MY DATA IS GONE"
"Show All..."
"Oh..."

Answers

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The clue is in the error "Statement Status must be open in check ledger entry entry no. XXX". You can't void a reconciled entry.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    djswim wrote:
    This is stupid, I can't believe I'm having so much trouble with this, but here it is:

I can't void a check. I'm getting the message that "Statement Status must be open in check ledger entry entry no. XXX"

I've tried just voiding, I've tried issuing a credit memo for the invoice and voiding, nothing is working. I've done this a thousand times before and I always forget this crap. I've been at work for like 12 hours now, so no, I didn't search, please just help or link to what I missed because I'm going to shut my computer down and chomp on my nicotine gum all the way home. You all rock!

Things to check:
    1. Has the check been reconciled by a posted bank statement yet? If so, you will not be able to void a reconcile check. It doesn't make sense.
    2. Are there any open bank rec. when the check? If so, delete the open bank rec, then void the check.
  • djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
    I believe the check had been posted just a few minutes prior to our attempting to take care of this, so unless there's some way to have it auto-entered into the reconciliation this can't be the case.

Also, I know for a fact that a bank rec wasn't completed after the posting.
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
    Are there any modifications? What is the "Statement Status" of the entry?
    It's "Open" now, but we're getting a message that "Unapplied must be No in Vendor Ledger entry"

Do we need to make a new invoice, apply the check and then void it? This is starting to make even less sense... :shock:
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
    djswim wrote:
    It's "Open" now, but we're getting a message that "Unapplied must be No in Vendor Ledger entry"

Do we need to make a new invoice, apply the check and then void it? This is starting to make even less sense... :shock:

Is that a custom field? I find no such field in Vendor Ledger Entry.
    \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

I didn't see it either (only bothered to check after seeing your message), so I thought maybe the person I'm working with told me the wrong error message and attempted to do it myself.

Turned out he had selected the "Unapply and void check" option, and since it wasn't applied to anything, got an error (not sure if it was really the one he told me). I used the "Only Void Check" option and it worked.

My only question now is, how did it get the changed statement status?!?

This makes me all the more determined to take this client on full permissions lockdown so people "exploring" doesn't continue to jack up their database :)

Thank you for your help!
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."