Program Task

NASiNASi Member Posts: 48
I'm working in a program to comunicate Navision 5.0 (Navision database, not SQL) with another software that controls a warehouse.
Navision generates XML files through XMLPort in a configured directory and in the other side XML files are generated and saved in a directory to be read by Navision and update the database.
The comunication between Navision and Warehouse should be done i.e. every 'n' minuts and I think that these work can be done with the Job Queue (3810). For me this is the easy way, but I don't know if this work can be done easily with another tool, like NAS.
I had not ever used NAS and I'm completely clueless about using this tool.
Which level of dificulty I will find, licence, setup, can it work with XMLPorts?, etc.
I will be grateful if someone has a good idea for this and can help me.
Thanks a lot.

Answers

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    There are some howto's for NAS.

And there is one generic hint: NAS is common NAV client, but without GUI (user interface). It means you are working like with common NAV client. The difference is, that whole process working on NAS is started in CU 1, in NASHandler function. What you run there, will be running on the NAS. In most cases it is some Single instance codeunit with some automation like timer, etc...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • NASiNASi Member Posts: 48
    Thanks Kine.
    I have the how's to for NAS and it is very useful for me.
    A question : can I run de NAS without the granule Job Queue?.
    I think that it is possible adding an instruction to the codeunit 1 procedure NASHandler, right?
    Thanks a lot.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, if you have NAS session in the license, you can use the NAS as you wish, if it will not call some object which is not in your license. It means you add own parameter, calling own codeunit and you are done...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • NASiNASi Member Posts: 48
    Thanks Kine. The next step is that it works!. If not I will post again.
    Thanks a lot.
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    I believe the new Job Queue actually uses a NAS to run itself and any of the Jobs that are setup for it. If you wrapped your XML port functionality in a codeunit you should be able to easily take what you've built so far and have it run every 'n' minutes.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com