Assembly List -> Bill of materials

lyotlyot Member Posts: 202
The situation is as follows:
1. Item A is a composed item that contains (4x Item B, C, D)

2. Stock is kept for item A, B, C & D, however there's no physical stock for Item A

3. A sales order is entered in the folowing way:
Item A | 4 | PCS
Item B | 16 | PCS
Item C | 16 | PCS
Item D | 16 | PCS

I tried to solve this with Assemby List -> Bill of materials on Item A.
So on a new sales order I just enter a line for Item A and choose Functions -> Explode BOM. But then I loose the refference to Item A and it's quantity on my sales order. ](*,)
So I added Item A to its own Bill of materials. So when I do an explode BOM on sales order, I still get my refference to Item A and its quantity.
But I doubt that this good practice... :-k
Are there better ways to solve this?

Comments

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    What is the need to explode the BOM?

Leave it as A, and periodically make BOM journals to replenish the stock of A, causing demand for the components to be planned.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    What are you selling? Is it item A and also components of item B,C and D? or is it just item A?

If you don't keep item A in stock and you use assembly list and explode the BOM on the sales order then the reference is lost because you don't really sell item A you sell B. C and D. If it's just a matter of design then you can change order confirmation etc to include item A.

An other way is to use BOM journal to assembly item A then you have item A in stock and that's the item you sell.
    I sell all the items, how stange it may sound...
    So BOM jounals are no option...