use of send to word or excel

vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
Hi all,

I get a security error when using this functionality, as long as the user is not a DB owner. I tried this with super rights : error on table 'User Default Style Sheet'. With same user, but as DBowner on SQL level, no error.
Is the only solution making all users DB owner? cannot be, I believe...

Thx for a quick reply!

Answers

• Johan_007Johan_007 Member Posts: 53
    had the same issue. Giving them DB owner rights doesn't give them super user rights.. thats still set in NAV if you created the DB like that.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Can you be more specific and copy the error text for us?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
    Hi Kine,

As long as the user is not set as DB owner on the SQL database, I cannot use the 'send to Word or Excel tool' in nav5.0.
    I get an error that I don't have the right to read the table 'User Default Style Sheet', even so the user has Super-rights in the navision database defined.

Same user, same rights, but with DB-ownership, does not give the error and the functionality runs normal.

Just adding DB-ownership to all users just does not sound correct I believe, so I wondered if another setting on SQL or Nav could help me?
    If you are using Extended security model, try to resynchronize the permissions.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hi Kine,

If you mean the Synchronise all logins within Navision Security, that doesn't seem to help.
    The term extended Security model doesn't ring a bell, can you pls. explain?

Many thx. for the replies!
    vanrofi wrote:
    Hi Kine,

If you mean the Synchronise all logins within Navision Security, that doesn't seem to help.
    The term extended Security model doesn't ring a bell, can you pls. explain?

Many thx. for the replies!

File-Database-Alter- last tab - security model... ;-) (if you are using Simple, you do not need to synchronize, if extended, synchronize function must be used...). If there are no objective reasons, I recommend to use Simple mode...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hi Kine, the security is set on enhanced. apparently the default setting, but I can't find any more explanation on that setting in help, so what's the difference?. I could set it on simple (in test environment), but could it have any influence on the initial problem?

Anyhow the full sync did not help anyway... I'll probably have to switch all users to DB owner....
    You can be sure that you do not need to set all users to db_owner. There will be another solution. If you will search the forum for standard and extended security model, you will find the difference (and there is documentation about that too). The main difference is only when someone is trying to hack into your system. Standard model is enough for most cases and is less problematic.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    OK thx. I found indeed quite some info on the security model. I think we will leave it to enhanced since we do al lot of single user syncs over the day. Anyway the security model is not the problem here, I think, I'll test anyway in the test db.

Any other tips to solve the initial problem is more than welcome!
    vanrofi wrote:
    OK thx. I found indeed quite some info on the security model. I think we will leave it to enhanced since we do al lot of single user syncs over the day.

In simple model you do not need to sync at all... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    I have finally set security model to standard (for other reasons) and tried again the functionality and it worked.

thx everyone for helping me