Bandwidth needed for stable connection of client to server

NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
Hello,

I just want to know what is the bandwidth needed for stable connection of nav client to server? We need this to be calculated because we are setting up the infra structure of a project with multiple sites... using a VPN and terminal service.

many thanks in advance.....
Navision noob....

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Did you search the forum?
    There are a lot of posts about this.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• MalajloMalajlo Member Posts: 294
    If you'll use terminal service, then you'll handle with ISDN bandwidth (from client side).
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    first u must know, how many datas will go through the WAN.
    If it is only NAV no problem, you can start with 128k ISDN. But if your users also use an Webbrowser, download files, send mails with attachments, use the same "Cable" for uploads, etc. than u need more. The most of my users use 2M/Bit. So they have no probs with Nav on Citrix (TErminalService) and no probs when thy download files, send mails, etc. .....

So, check what the users do, and make a "Line Test".

REgards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Also keep in mind that the more users you have, the LESS bandwidth they each need.

So you might find that one user on 256k will find that NAV on TS is ok, but not great, but 15 users on 2Meg will say its great. The reason is that its not so much bandwidth that is the issue, its response time. So if you have a VPN or some sort o AD that starts playing with packets, or compresses them then you will be doing false math. Make sure to have very good ping times.

Users are more interested that the mouse "responds" to them.

Also remember that the UPLOAD speed is important, so make sure you don't have an internet connection (at the server) that has faster download than upload.
    David Singleton
  • NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    Thanks a lot guys for this informations... I really appreciate it..
    Navision noob....
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Some how my reply above is not 100% what I was trying to say, so just to clarify,

more users get to share the bandwidth, so when one person is not using NAV someone else is. One single user wants a response now, so the system may look slow, though you never use maximimum bandwidth all the tiime, it goes up and down, but as there are more users, there is more chance that someone is workign whilst someone else is not, so its better for sharing.
    David Singleton
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    check what the users do and what they want to do and make a bandwidth test. On your test also simulate the worst case (little robots for downloads, uploads, browsing, and Terminal Service use . So you can find your bottleneck and you can find out if your bandwidth is enough or not. Your provider could help you for the bandwidth test.

Example: Customer of mine -> 20 NAV Users, Terminalservice is Citrix -> only NAVISON application (Serverhostng in our computer center). Webbrowsing, Mails, FTP etc. are local. Also the Replication to / from the POS (2-3computers) need the bandwidth. So, for this custimer we use a 2M/Bit.

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!