Amount rounding precision

venven Member Posts: 12
Hello,

I have provided Amount rouding precision in the GL set up as 0.00001 based on the clients request. Now after a year Client wants to have the amount rouding precision to be 0.01

Is there a possibility to change the rounding precision from 0.00001 to 0.01. I'm thinking of rounding all the ledger entries from 5 decimals to 2 decimals and then change the rounding precision to 0.01

Will there be any impact. Views on the approch is welcome.
:-k
Rgrds
Venkat

Answers

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    G/L entry is always posted in 2 decimal places so no need to worry there.
    As far as changing precision is concerned , you should not change the posted entries and make the changes in the setup to affect future entries.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • venven Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

Thanks for the response. GL entries are posted in 2 decimals for the local currency. But the additional reporting currency is still posting in 5 decimals. All the account payables and account receivables are having 5 decimals.

As far as the change in set up for the future entries, this is not possible in Navision as the eror message which says "you cannot change the contents of the Amount rounding precision as there are posted ledger entries". Thats why I'm thinking of changing the posted entries.

Thanks & Regards
    Venkat
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It is not so easy. If you change the rounding, correcting existing entries is hard. Do not forget that if you start rounding the amounts, you need to keep all related transactions in consistent SUM. it means, if there are 3 entries with some amounts and one entry which have amount = SUM of these 3 entries, you need to make it correct (rounding the sum will give you different amount than SUM of rounded amounts)...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • venven Member Posts: 12
    Hi Kamil,

You are very correct, The mere rounding will create differences in the debit and credit accounts. If one debit entry has multiple credit entries then the sum will not match.

I'm thinking on rounding by transaction wise and if there any rounding differences then this have to be posted to the tolerance account. This way it will be challenging and tedious.

Is there any other way to resolve this problem?

Thanks & Regards
    Venkat
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    No, there is not any easier way than not to do it...

Or you can look into "Euro conversion toolkit" objects for some EU country, because there must be some process doing very similar thing. The amunt there are recalculated from LCY to EUR and it means that all the roundings etc. must be somehow checked and corrected. It can inspire you. But still, this step is very dangerous, and I think that possible future cost will be much higher than customer wants...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.