MRP and Non SN Specific Tracking Serial Numbers

joshplummerjoshplummer Member Posts: 39
I have a very strange problem that I'm chasing my tail on. I have a group of items that are set up as serial tracked, but NOT Serial Specific Tracked. In this case, the business wants to record the serial number on shipment, but doesn't really care to track the serial number during manufacturing. So, we've setup our item tracking code to require Serial No's on shipment and transfer only.

Now, when a production order is created, the business decided to actually assign serial numbers during manufacturing. Turning on SN Specific Tracking is not an option at this point. In any case, they assign serial numbers to the production order.

So, here's the situation. I have a sales order for 10 tools and a production order for 10 tools. If the Production Order has serial numbers assigned to it, MRP will ignore the order as a source of supply and suggest we build 10 more. If I remove the serial numbers from the Production Order, MRP will properly suggest nothing.

What could be causing this? I've pined over the MRP code and can't put my finger on what would be causing this...there is no specific area of the code that says "if serial number found and serial specific tracking is off, then suggest ridiculous action messages".

We're using Nav 5.0 on SQL 2005...SP1 client.

Any help would be appreciated...this is driving me nuts.

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I don't think there is anybody in here would know where the code is unless they've done the same modification.

I would try get a backup and restore it. bring inventory to zero. finish the production orders and partial shipments. Turn on SN Specific Tracking bring back inventory and see if MRP suggest nothing.

The other solution is get a developer to track down the code.

Also How does the reservation entries look for Production order and SO?

One more thing I would try is
    If Production Entries in reservation entry table have SN but the SO does not have SN I would make a mode and split SO reservation entries so that you have One to one relationship for each Production Order SN. I believe MRP will suggest nothing after this mod.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • HaraldAyasseHaraldAyasse Member Posts: 5
    Hi Joshplummer,

I'm facing the same problem in NAV 4.00 SP3.

Do you have any solution for this issue?

Would appreciate your reply.

Thanks
    Harald