Import large size data into Navision

asemberengasembereng Member Posts: 220
I have a data of 100,000 records to import but it fails without giving me any error message. Do you know the problem? And can i avoid this?

Comments

• couberpucouberpu Member Posts: 317
    Did you use any error checking method to filter out bad data and SKIP them? You can use a temp table to store skipped values.

Or you can use a variable to count number of lines input and use COMMIT to save the records.

These are the methods I used when import huge amount of data.
  • asemberengasembereng Member Posts: 220
    what are you error checking methods?
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    If you are trying to use a dataport to import, you should know that when you run a dataport while it is in design mode, it will not actually import the data. So it could be that it works perfectly, it is not showing you an error message, but because it is not actually importing enything you *think* it fails. You need to save the object and run it in run mode, and test it that way.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    yes, DenSter is right, this is the most significant "error" of an user which use a dataport in design mode. Take a look also here. It's an other situation, but the same problem / solution

http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... t=dataport

regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    I find dataports are always tricky for precicesly this reason. So to get around it I almost always read all the data into text variables instead of the actual fields in the table and write an error file. Then have 2 ways of running it - import all or show error.

1) If all values are read into text variable that are 1024 characters wide there is very little chance that an error will occur. If you use an array then you can easily pass the data around with one variable.

2) Build a codeunit to do all of the work of inserting customer, vendor, or whatever record you need to create. Then you can use the
    IF CODEUNIT.RUN

call to write the data - if it fails then you know the data couldn't be written. Note that this step should only be run in the "show error" mode

3) Write any records to an error file that failed the import process in step 2. This will allow only those records that were in error to be processed again. This follows the paradigm of writing the records that you can and saving the records you can't.

This will then allow a user to run the data port repeatedly until all of the records are imported and they can run it to show the error (e.g. posting group X does not exist).
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    The Migration tool does this. The only reason we created an extra import option to our AddOn is because the tool import the field in order of field number.